Running docker and autodev in a shared env.

rsmvdl

Jul 15, 2016
Hello,

i would like to know the risk to run a LXC container with the following ruleset in a shared public env.:

lxc.apparmor.profile: unconfined
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: a
lxc.cap.drop:
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 10:200 rwm
lxc.hook.autodev: sh -c "modprobe tun; cd ${LXC_ROOTFS_MOUNT}/dev; mkdir net; mknod net/tun c 10 200; chmod 0666 net/tun"

these rules making it possible to flawlessly use VPN tun devices and to run Docker inside of LXC.
i would like to stay with the flexability of LXC but want to give my client the possiblity to run Docker and VPN like software on there instances.
Beside i would also like to know who i can set these rules as a default vaule for every new container that gets created without to manually edit the LXC conf file located at /etc/pve/lxc/10x.conf

is this solution a good idea?

thanks in advance

Hi,

i would like to know the risk to run a LXC container with the following ruleset in a shared public env.
when you use unconfined AppArmor, it means any security check in-place from AppArmor will be ignored by the container. The risk here is, if you're using a privileged container, it might make it easier for a malicious user to escape from the container and gain root access on your host machine.

Beside i would also like to know who i can set these rules as a default vaule for every new container that gets created without to manually edit the LXC conf file located at /etc/pve/lxc/10x.conf

You can edit the default configuration file in /etc/lxc/default.conf and it will be applied to any newly created containers.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!