[SOLVED] rsync: set_acl: sys_acl_set_file(archiv, ACL_TYPE_DEFAULT): Operation not supported (95)

fips

Renowned Member
May 5, 2014
If I want to make a backup from my LXC container on local storage I got this error message:

INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 118 --compress lzo --node vmbase3 --remove 0 --mode snapshot --storage local
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 118 (lxc)
INFO: status = running
INFO: mode failure - some volumes does not support snapshots
INFO: trying 'suspend' mode instead
INFO: backup mode: suspend
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: starting first sync /proc/7972/root// to /tmp/vzdumptmp12237
INFO: rsync: set_acl: sys_acl_set_file(archiv, ACL_TYPE_DEFAULT): Operation not supported (95)
INFO: rsync: set_acl: sys_acl_set_file(archiv/logwatch-7.4.2beta1, ACL_TYPE_DEFAULT): Operation not supported (95)
INFO: rsync: set_acl: sys_acl_set_file(archiv/logwatch-7.4.2beta1/conf, ACL_TYPE_DEFAULT): Operation not supported (95)
INFO: rsync: set_acl: sys_acl_set_file(archiv/logwatch-7.4.2beta1/conf/html, ACL_TYPE_DEFAULT): Operation not supported (95)
INFO: rsync: set_acl: sys_acl_set_file(archiv/logwatch-7.4.2beta1/conf/logfiles, ACL_TYPE_DEFAULT): Operation not supported (95)
INFO: rsync: set_acl: sys_acl_set_file(archiv/logwatch-7.4.2beta1/conf/services, ACL_TYPE_DEFAULT): Operation not supported (95)
INFO: rsync: set_acl: sys_acl_set_file(archiv/logwatch-7.4.2beta1/lib, ACL_TYPE_DEFAULT): Operation not supported (95)
INFO: rsync: set_acl: sys_acl_set_file(archiv/logwatch-7.4.2beta1/scripts, ACL_TYPE_DEFAULT): Operation not supported (95)
-----------SNIP----------
INFO: rsync: set_acl: sys_acl_set_file(var/spool/rsyslog, ACL_TYPE_DEFAULT): Operation not supported (95)
INFO: rsync: set_acl: sys_acl_set_file(var/tmp, ACL_TYPE_DEFAULT): Operation not supported (95)
INFO: Number of files: 26,692 (reg: 21,292, dir: 1,934, link: 3,466)
INFO: Number of created files: 26,691 (reg: 21,292, dir: 1,933, link: 3,466)
INFO: Number of deleted files: 0
INFO: Number of regular files transferred: 21,277
INFO: Total file size: 674,373,793 bytes
INFO: Total transferred file size: 673,744,453 bytes
INFO: Literal data: 673,744,453 bytes
INFO: Matched data: 0 bytes
INFO: File list size: 655,279
INFO: File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
INFO: File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
INFO: Total bytes sent: 675,468,267
INFO: Total bytes received: 643,792
INFO: sent 675,468,267 bytes received 643,792 bytes 90,148,274.53 bytes/sec
INFO: total size is 674,373,793 speedup is 1.00
INFO: rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1183) [sender=3.1.1]
ERROR: Backup of VM 118 failed - command 'rsync --stats -X -A --numeric-ids -aH --delete --no-whole-file --inplace --one-file-system --relative /proc/7972/root///./ /tmp/vzdumptmp12237' failed: exit code 23
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

@fips

It seems that your /tmp mount doesn't accept posix acl. Is it just part of your root mount, or did you set a tmpfs on that?

its the default folder from root.
I just set the vzdump.conf to use /tmp, but even when I comment it out, it produces the same error messages...

Then it seems that your root is mounted with noacl. Or are you using a different file system like ZFS on the root?

mount | grep tmp:

udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=10240k,nr_inodes=2049440,mode=755)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=3284760k,mode=755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)
tmpfs on /run/lxcfs/controllers type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=100k,mode=700)
cgmfs on /run/cgmanager/fs type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=100k,mode=755)

mount | grep acl:
rpool/ROOT/pve-1 on / type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,noacl)
rpool on /rpool type zfs (rw,noatime,xattr,noacl)
rpool/ROOT on /rpool/ROOT type zfs (rw,noatime,xattr,noacl)

cat /etc/fstab:
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
/dev/zvol/rpool/swap none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

OK, as we can see my root set to noacl...
Well I just went through normal setup...

How to change it?

The best thing to do is to create a new mountpoint for it in the zfs pool and set that to acl. Otherwise you may run into a host of trouble with new LXC containers.

Code:
zfs create -o mountpoint=/mnt/vztmp rpool/vztmp
zfs set acltype=posixacl rpool/vztmp

Now set /mnt/vztmp in your /etc/vzdump.conf for tmp.

One more thing. If you are running on ZFS, turn off SWAP or try the settings in this post:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/zfs-swap-crashes-system.25208/#post-126215

Great, workes like a charm!!
The Proxmox guys should include that to their zfs troubleshooting wiki.

The wiki is open for everyone, so you are invited to improve the docs.

Thank goodness I came across this post. I just tried the solution above and it works beautifully.
With that said, it seems like this is only the issue for me if I have Proxmox installed on zfs volumes (I don't have this issue on the ext4 volume from one of my other nodes in my cluster).

BTW, for those new comers like me, here is what I did to set /mnt/vztmp in /etc/vzdump.conf for tmp:

Code:
# nano /etc/vzdump.conf

Code:
# vzdump default settings

#tmpdir: DIR    <-  This is the original code in the file.  I always like to keep a copy just in case I need to rollback in the future
tmpdir:/mnt/vztmp

Last edited:
Thank goodness I came across this post. I just tried the solution above and it works beautifully.
With that said, it seems like this is only the issue for me if I have Proxmox installed on zfs volumes (I don't have this issue on the ext4 volume from one of my other nodes in my cluster).

BTW, for those new comers like me, here is what I did to set /mnt/vztmp in /etc/vzdump.conf for tmp:

Code:
# nano /etc/vzdump.conf

Code:
# vzdump default settings

#tmpdir: DIR    <-  This is the original code in the file.  I always like to keep a copy just in case I need to rollback in the future
tmpdir:/mnt/vztmp

In addition forgot to add that if you are using zfs, you'll need to run the following lines to make it effective.

Code:
zfs create -o mountpoint=/mnt/vztmp <pool>/vztmp

Code:
for example:
zfs create -o mountpoint=/mnt/vztmp rpool/vztmp

After that you should be good to go.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!