Rpool, how to create ZFS

bugs

May 6, 2023
Hello,

I'm still learning proxmox with zfs and some details are not clear to me. I hope someone could help me to understand better than now.

My proxmox is installed with 32 Go Ram and a single 1 To SSD using ZFS.
To learn I installed a few VM and a CasaOS container with a FTP server using docker.

When I look at my node (home) and the disks I can see LVM, LVM-thin... and ZFS. And inside ZFS, my "rpool".

Inside my Casa OS the alone user is "root" and I would like to add a volume for my FTP server on my single disk but outside CasaOS. I guess I have to create something like /rpool/FTPDirectory. But when I try "create ZFS" where I see "rpool", It's impossible because I get the message "no disk available" because almost all the disk size to this pool even if only 10 Go are allocated.

I know how to create a new ZFS storage in my datacenter and how to mount it in my CasaOS. But my FTP user is not my CasaOS root and this is why it's impossible to write on it. In more, I don't want (but may be I'm wrong) my FTP folder inside my CasaOS files.

This is why I would like a separate volume for my FTP server. I thought I have to change something on my rpool to let me to use "create ZFS" here. Add a subfolder like /rpool/Ftp or something else ? Because when I create a new volume from Datacenter => Storage => moint, the result is not what I'm looking for.

Could you tell me what to do and how in this case ?

Thank you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!