rootfs questions

Apr 26, 2018
I noticed in some CentOS 7 containers an init boot failure with systemd-remount-fs.service. Not fatal but I traced the cause to /etc/fstab, which contains the following:

Code:
/dev/root / rootfs defaults 0 0

When logging into the CentOS container, /dev/root does not exist. Commenting out that entry in fstab resolves the init boot failures.

1. Is the /etc/fstab entry still valid or is this from an old CentOS template?

2. My understanding is I should be able to view the file system of a container from the Proxmox host at /var/lib/lxc/$cid/rootfs. Yet there is nothing in that directory. If possible how do I enable that feature?

I looked in the wiki and admin manual but I am not seeing how to do this.

In /etc/pve/lxc/$cid.conf I see entries like this:

rootfs: local-lvm:vm-$cid-disk-1,size=120G

In /var/lib/lxc/$cid/config I see entries like this:

lxc.rootfs.path = /var/lib/lxc/$cid/rootfs

I seem to recall earlier versions (3.x?, 4.x?) of Proxmox populating the rootfs directory. The containers have been in service since then. Perhaps with subsequent Proxmox releases I need to tweak the configs?

2. My understanding is I should be able to view the file system of a container from the Proxmox host at /var/lib/lxc/$cid/rootfs. Yet there is nothing in that directory. If possible how do I enable that feature?
you can browser the directory if you have zfs as storage (then the disk is a subvolume) or it gets mounted with 'pct mount' but this more intended for emergency operation

I am trying to access the rootfs of all my live containers, how do I do that? Alternatively, I want to create a container that resides on the disk, on a directory, like regular LXC containers. How do I do that? I need to bring in several LXC containers from another regular box with LXC. I do this routinelly with RSYNC

I'm just trying to decide (for monitoring) if I should just ignore the error, or does it mean something is broken? Blinking red lights are hard to ignore.

Attachments

• error.png
    error.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 7

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!