root partition too big ?

rxrxrx

Dec 15, 2011
After installing latest 2.0 iso, on a couple of servers,i noticed local storage is less than expected.
checked and here is the partition table (df -h)

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/pve-root 69G 810M 65G 2% /
tmpfs 3.9G 0 3.9G 0% /lib/init/rw
udev 3.9G 220K 3.9G 1% /dev
tmpfs 3.9G 41M 3.9G 2% /dev/shm
/dev/mapper/pve-data 184G 188M 184G 1% /var/lib/vz
/dev/cciss/c0d0p1 495M 34M 436M 8% /boot
/dev/fuse 30M 28K 30M 1% /etc/pve

root partition is 70GB, and usage is %2
is not that too much ?

depends on your usage. but you can use custom settings anyways, see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Debugging_Installation

Tom can you clarify "depends on your usage" for the sizing of /dev/mapper/pve-root

I have a 500 GB drive and 95 GB is being used for the /dev/mapper/pve-root

I usually set the /dev/mapper/pve-root to 20 GB no matter what the size of the system, but never end up using more than 10 % of that.
In what scenarios would you want /dev/mapper/pve-root to be 95 GB or 19% of you total disk size? Why the 19% ?

Thanks!

In what scenarios would you want /dev/mapper/pve-root to be 95 GB or 19% of you total disk size? Why the 19% ?

That is usually enough free space, even when you need to manipulate larger files (backups) on the root partition.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!