[SOLVED] Root partition getting temporary full during backup job

cglmicro

Oct 12, 2020
Hi everyone.

My root "/" partition is getting from ±60% to a 91% usage during backup job to an external PBS. After the job, free space is back to normal.

Like if a temp folder was pointing to a mount on this 21Gb partition instead of the 500Gb partition (i,e,: /var/lib/vz/*').

I don't see any noticeable files in /var/log/.

Where should I start to investigate?

Thank you.

I can't pinpoint where the file is added, but it happened when doing a backup to a PBS in ZSTD, around the line:
Code:
INFO: CT Name: pmg14.legardeur.net

INFO: including mount point rootfs ('/') in backup

INFO: starting first sync /proc/1085863/root/ to /var/tmp/vzdumptmp1941818_1003

INFO: first sync finished - transferred 6.42G bytes in 18s

INFO: suspending guest

And it's not hapenning when backup to LOCAL also in ZSTD.

LXCs needs to be written to a temporary location first. Here it is written to "/var/tmp/vzdumptmp1941818_1003". Then its chunked and backed up to the PBS. Maybe you want to set another "tmpdir" in the /etc/vzdump.conf if your root partition/LV/dataset is too small.

Last edited:
note that this only affects 'suspend' mode backups, so if you can avoid those you don't have the tmp space requirement and your backups likely will be faster as well ;)

Ok, thanks for the specifics.

It's because I'm backing up a CT and I'm not able to SNAPSHOT even if it's the selected option for this job, it always SUSPEND the VM instead.

that's usually the case if your container has volumes which are not snapshottable (storage doesn't support snapshots, volume not managed by PVE, bind mount, ..).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!