Roadmap features availability

Kevin Meijer

Apr 25, 2018
Hi there,

I just noticed that there are a couple of features on the roadmap that I am really interested in (Dynamic Resource Scheduling and better SDN). And I was curious if there is a ETA on when we can start experimenting with these features, even if its only in the pvetest repository.

I assume we see dynamic resource scheduling in Proxmox VE 7.3 (tech preview, Q4/2022)

Reactions: flames
Thank you for the information Tom.

Do PVE releases follow a certain cycle? Or is it more a "Its done when its done" approach?

when will be real enterprise features implemented ??

some examples ?
out of my head:
- autoscaling VMs (based on Memory, Ram, Storage)
- proper implementation of internal communication, sdn, in a cluster VMs need to be able to talk to each other (on each cluster the same networks and VMs need to move around - it just needs to work)
- visually create vSwitche
- the master gui for cluster need to be accessable if the master node is down
- update the cluster, not every node seperate

i could have 20 points more if i think harder

when will be real enterprise features implemented ??

some examples ?
out of my head:
- autoscaling VMs (based on Memory, Ram, Storage)
- proper implementation of internal communication, sdn, in a cluster VMs need to be able to talk to each other (on each cluster the same networks and VMs need to move around - it just needs to work)
- visually create vSwitche

i could have 20 points more if i think harder

Feel free to contribute:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Documentation

If you are missing 25 ("real enterprise") features, you might be better off with another solution that matches all your requirements; provided that this even exists...

you are right.
i dont say its not a good software, it is.
all requirements are met with vmware (to be honest) but 133000 dollar for 3 servers it is not even for discussion.
think big - if you want to play in the top leaque and want to attract other companies to use proxmox you need to have real enterprise functionality builtin. for example: communication cluster (VMs distributed over the cluster).
its not about me, its about other companies and customers. companies consider all options and functionalities and choose a product. but proxmox will be disqualified very soon, because (from my opinion) very important functions are missing and as a Plus a nice friendly gui with graphically output.
dont get me wrong, for me the software is ok (i fixed the cluster wide communication issue with sdn, like many other users) but not for professional use, for many companies (which doesnt mean, no big companies are using proxmox - i am sure, they are some)
PS: i am not a programmer rather a system engineer. if i have time i could build the logic for some extention but not the webgui.

communication cluster (VMs distributed over the cluster) [...]
(i fixed the cluster wide communication issue with sdn, like many other users)
What do you mean by that?

PVE has no master node

What sane person would want to update a whole cluster at once (and kill everything at once on an error)? NO other cluster solution I know does this, they all do the upgrade in batches.

I'm really interested in the other 20 points.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!