reverse proxy nginx noVNC problem since V5

it is weird, nginx reverse proxy with ip_hash is working fine on machine that install with java version 7 update 80.
Unfortunately, most of the time it is not work on machine that install with java version 8 update 144.

How about others?

it is weird, nginx reverse proxy with ip_hash is working fine on machine that install with java version 7 update 80.
Unfortunately, most of the time it is not work on machine that install with java version 8 update 144.

How about others?
I checked on my server and the weird thing is 'java -version' says that java hasn't been installed at all.
Should I install java although novnc works just fine when I login to proxmox via my IP.

I have the same problem.
noVNC acually shows "Connected". And it is not ticket related.
The window just stays grey and does not show content.
In about 5-10% of the time it randomly works.
Works fine with the noVNC of Proxmox 4.

Last edited:
Does anyone have instructions how to downgrade just noVNC to the version Proxmox 4 is using?

With latest release, still have the noVNC grey screen and occasional work condition.
Is downgrade to older noVNC version a temporary solution?

Not sure any finding or advise from the Proxmox team?

i tested this extensively and did not found the culprit, it seems that the combination of nginx reverse proxy, our api server, and a new novnc has this problem
on my setup i triggered this in about 1/20 cases, so not very often

i tested with apache as reverse proxy without issues (at least a hundred tries did not trigger this problem here), as well as a cheap proxy with socat did not show this issue

i am still not sure what the problem here is exactly (except that is has to do with the websocket), and since i cannot reliably trigger this and neither novnc nor nginx logs are really useful, debugging this is very time consuming

if anyone has further insight in what goes wrong here, a hint would be appreciated

i tested with apache as reverse proxy without issues (at least a hundred tries did not trigger this problem here), as well as a cheap proxy with socat did not show this issue
Yes, I can confirm that apache wss (websocket) reverse proxy work well so far.

Same problem, working about 5% of the time when refreshing. Xterm works all of the time, but I need a graphical access too on some hosts.

ip_hash in upstream did not solve the problem.

Install wildcard certificate on your Proxmox nodes (letsencrpyt providing it now), and use HAProxy.
I already have a wildcard certificate. My nginx config works perfectly for accessing all resources including xterm.js, but NoVNC (like the posters before me) is not consistent. I am able to connect 100% of the time but maybe 5% of the time the actual console loads.

Switching up my entire server config isn't really viable. Granted I know I'm not a high priority customer since I'm not a subscriber, but this appears to affect a lot of others. I'll happily provide any logs as needed.

Downgrading the novnc to the 4.x version seems to solve this issue, so i don't think there's any issue with the nginx, vncproxy or vncwebsocket. It seems to rest entierly on something added in the new novnc code.

Can someone post clear instructions on how to downgrade novnc until this is resolved?

Can someone post clear instructions on how to downgrade novnc until this is resolved?

You can see the available versions with the command:

apt-cache policy novnc-pve
You can install any preferred version with:

apt-get install novnc-pve=<version>
After that you can set the package to 'hold' status to prevent upgrade with the command:

echo novnc-pve hold|dpkg --set-selections​

Reactions: b3nw
You can see the available versions with the command:

apt-cache policy novnc-pve
You can install any preferred version with:

apt-get install novnc-pve=<version>
After that you can set the package to 'hold' status to prevent upgrade with the command:

echo novnc-pve hold|dpkg --set-selections​

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!