Retention in tracking center

Discussion in 'Mail Gateway: Installation and configuration' started by taurix, May 3, 2018.

1. taurix

taurix New Member
    Proxmox VE Subscriber

Hi, by law I have to keep maillogs for 2 years. Can I set a retention time in proxmox? It would be ideal if lookup in the tracking center would go that far back

2. tom

tom Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

Not really, for such a use case you need to implement a powerful log server where you can store this huge amount of logs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. taurix

taurix New Member
    Proxmox VE Subscriber

Actually, everyone in Belgium using proxmail would be obligated to do that, a lot smaller providers like myself probably ignore it though.
    Still, the current retention in the tracking center is not that long, I started the gateway on april 10 and the first log entry I can still access is april 26...

Guy

4. tom

tom Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

The tracking center is a front-end to the syslog and the syslog files are available for 7 days, just standard Debian Linux.

If you want to store gigabytes of logs from every day for 2 years, you need a huge server. You will find a lot of tools exactly for this task.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. taurix

taurix New Member
    Proxmox VE Subscriber

So, for my own comfort, I'd like a retention of at least a month in the message center. If I change the logrotation, it will be visible in tracking center?

Secondly, I will probably push the logs to an elasticsearch server to (unfortunatly) comply with draconian law.

6. tom

tom Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

yes, if you syslogs are availabe for 30 days, you can also query them via the message tracking (check Debian howto for changing the log rotation)

7. Sommer

Sommer Member

Exactly. Increase rotate count at /etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog on /var/log/syslog {}

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice