Retention in tracking center

Apr 9, 2018
Hi, by law I have to keep maillogs for 2 years. Can I set a retention time in proxmox? It would be ideal if lookup in the tracking center would go that far back

tom

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Aug 29, 2006
Not really, for such a use case you need to implement a powerful log server where you can store this huge amount of logs.

Apr 9, 2018
Not really, for such a use case you need to implement a powerful log server where you can store this huge amount of logs.
Actually, everyone in Belgium using proxmail would be obligated to do that, a lot smaller providers like myself probably ignore it though.
Still, the current retention in the tracking center is not that long, I started the gateway on april 10 and the first log entry I can still access is april 26...

Guy

tom

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Aug 29, 2006
The tracking center is a front-end to the syslog and the syslog files are available for 7 days, just standard Debian Linux.

If you want to store gigabytes of logs from every day for 2 years, you need a huge server. You will find a lot of tools exactly for this task.

Apr 9, 2018
So, for my own comfort, I'd like a retention of at least a month in the message center. If I change the logrotation, it will be visible in tracking center?

Secondly, I will probably push the logs to an elasticsearch server to (unfortunatly) comply with draconian law.

tom

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Aug 29, 2006
So, for my own comfort, I'd like a retention of at least a month in the message center. If I change the logrotation, it will be visible in tracking center?
yes, if you syslogs are availabe for 30 days, you can also query them via the message tracking (check Debian howto for changing the log rotation)

Sommer

Jun 7, 2018
yes, if you syslogs are availabe for 30 days, you can also query them via the message tracking (check Debian howto for changing the log rotation)
Exactly. Increase rotate count at /etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog on /var/log/syslog {}

towerman

Jan 22, 2019
Italy
The tracking center is a front-end to the syslog and the syslog files are available for 7 days, just standard Debian Linux.

If you want to store gigabytes of logs from every day for 2 years, you need a huge server. You will find a lot of tools exactly for this task.
Sorry for the noob question, but how can I increase the limit?
I would like to keep at least one month.

towerman

Jan 22, 2019
Italy
As posted above: Increase rotate count at /etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog on /var/log/syslog

However, ensure that longer logging comply as well with GDPR
Do I have to restart sth later?
And if I will update my PMG, do I have to change again that setting? Can I do sth like a custom file?

ps: Damn, I hate GDPR :/

heutger

Apr 25, 2018
Fulda, Hessen, Germany
www.heutger.net
GDPR doesn't say nothing about logging. But could be a law specifically in your country, and in this case you must be follow.
Yes and no, GDPR doesn’t say anything about logging but says many things about processing personal data and they are also processed in logs. GDPR then also says many things about storage limitation. So you can‘t read anything directly but the data protection supervisory bodies like to reduce the log files storage, if containing personal data and it does: sender, recipient, ...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE and Proxmox Mail Gateway. We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get your own in 60 seconds.

Buy now!