[SOLVED] Restoring VM from Backup

Mr.Goodcat

Feb 8, 2020
Hi,

I'm accessing one of my proxmox hosts remotely via a firewall/VPN hosted on the same box as a VM. Now I'd like to roll back to a previous firewall backup without locking myself out from proxmox. However, when trying to restore the backup via GUI this error comes up:

"unable to restore VM 100 - vm is running"

Is there a way to stop the VM, restore the backup (i.e. overwrite the currently running version) and start the VM? It would be great if this were possible via the GUI - finding the correct cli commands is a bit risky as any mistake would lock me out from accessing the off-site proxmox server. Thanks!

no, that is not possible. you need some sort of out of band access to handle your situation safely..

no, that is not possible. you need some sort of out of band access to handle your situation safely..
Thank you for the reply!
A workaround helped me resolve this issue:
I restored the image to a new vm ID and set it to start on boot. The currently running firewall vm was then configured inversely. On reboot the restored image came up and enabled me to reconnect via VPN.

Reactions: Gavcol
risky, but glad it worked ;)

Thank you for the reply!
A workaround helped me resolve this issue:
I restored the image to a new vm ID and set it to start on boot. The currently running firewall vm was then configured inversely. On reboot the restored image came up and enabled me to reconnect via VPN.
Legend !!
Worked flawlessly and spared me the time having to go back to restore from external backup.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!