Restore of a VM backup fails

Nico Haase

Feb 27, 2013
Darmstadt, Germany
Hi there,
I have an elder VM that was used in VMWare before. Using it and creating a backup runs perfectly, but now I need to restore it, and this does not work with the following output:
restore vma archive: lzop -d -c /mnt/pve/ninja/dump/vzdump-qemu-104-2013_05_16-14_15_02.vma.lzo|vma extract -v -r /var/tmp/vzdumptmp261453.fifo - /var/tmp/vzdumptmp261453
CFG: size: 337 name: qemu-server.conf
DEV: dev_id=1 size: 21474836480 devname: drive-scsi0
CTIME: Thu May 16 14:15:03 2013
TASK ERROR: command 'lzop -d -c /mnt/pve/ninja/dump/vzdump-qemu-104-2013_05_16-14_15_02.vma.lzo|vma extract -v -r /var/tmp/vzdumptmp261453.fifo - /var/tmp/vzdumptmp261453' failed: unsupported format 'vmdk' at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage/LVMPlugin.pm line 252.
Can you give me a hint about why that fails???
Regards
Nico

You try to restore to LVM storage (block device, supports only 'raw' format), but the original VM was on a storage which supports vmdk (file system).

There is a fix in 3.0 which allows such restores.

Hmm, I backuped the VM which was saved in LVM through the backup scheduler, but cannot restore it. That does not sound as I would expect a backup to work...

your log shows a vmdk format, so I do not believe that it was LVM virtual disk. Pls check again.

You try to restore to LVM storage (block device, supports only 'raw' format), but the original VM was on a storage which supports vmdk (file system).

There is a fix in 3.0 which allows such restores.

i can only save raw images to lvm storage because of block device? i thought qcow2 should also work, but actually dont work because of a bug in proxmox ve 2.3 ...

do i understand something wrong?

greetings

I must admit that there is confusion on my side, as the VM was already deleted and only recreated after a manual restore using dd. But to come back to my remark: if I backup a VM regularly through the scheduler (no matter in which format it was saved on my disk), I would expect the restore process to work or even give me any hint that there might be problems before deleting anything. As Dietmar already posted this is improved in the soon arriving new version, I'm looking forward to see an enhancement in this process

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!