Restore failed - vma blk_flush drive-virtio1 failed

PeterMarcusH.

Apr 5, 2019
Hello guys, im in need of help for restoring a VM.
Firstly, im quit new to proxmox, and my experience with restoring VMs is little to none. I had previously made a VM which was allocated om my local-lvm storage, with an added disk (my plex volume) so i could in windows have a seperate drive for media. At some point i deleted it (my windows VM), by mistake and wanted to restore it. It seems to go well, but right after reaching 100% it crashes :(. I believe it has something to do with the first two warnings i get...but i dont know?

- Any help would be appreciated, Thank you.
- I added pictures for information

Attachments

• proxmox1.PNG
    proxmox1.PNG
    21.3 KB · Views: 28
  • proxmox2.PNG
    proxmox2.PNG
    29.1 KB · Views: 25
  • proxmox3.PNG
    proxmox3.PNG
    53.5 KB · Views: 23
  • proxmox4.PNG
    proxmox4.PNG
    31.5 KB · Views: 27
  • proxmox5.PNG
    proxmox5.PNG
    24.1 KB · Views: 26
Hello there,

The warning indicates that you've over-provision and data you trying to write may have exceeded underlying physical disk space. What is the output of the following:

Code:
lvs
vgs
pvs

Regards

Hello there,

The warning indicates that you've over-provision and data you trying to write may have exceeded underlying physical disk space. What is the output of the following:

Code:
lvs
vgs
pvs

Regards
Hello ihorace :), this is the result for running the commands:

Attachments

• lvs.PNG
    lvs.PNG
    17.4 KB · Views: 35
  • vgs.PNG
    vgs.PNG
    4.2 KB · Views: 33
  • pvs.PNG
    pvs.PNG
    4.8 KB · Views: 32
For future reference, it's easier to simply wrap the output in [ code ][/ code ] tags.

With that said, if I'm reading this correctly, vzdump reports the size of the archive is 300G compressed from promox2.PNG, lvs states you are nearly using 50% (that is allocated data on the LV) of your total pve/data logical volume, which leaves roughly 169G physical free space, do the math. This is a critical warning to you about LVM thin to avoid lost of data, you never should run your LVM thin to the brim, leave a healthy physical free space. Might want to re-think what you want to accomplish, find ways to shrink that archive to a usable size or add more physical space to pve/data to accommodate your Windows VM.

Regards

For future reference, it's easier to simply wrap the output in [ code ][/ code ] tags.

With that said, if I'm reading this correctly, vzdump reports the size of the archive is 300G compressed from promox2.PNG, lvs states you are nearly using 50% (that is allocated data on the LV) of your total pve/data logical volume, which leaves roughly 169G physical free space, do the math. This is a critical warning to you about LVM thin to avoid lost of data, you never should run your LVM thin to the brim, leave a healthy physical free space. Might want to re-think what you want to accomplish, find ways to shrink that archive to a usable size or add more physical space to pve/data to accommodate your Windows VM.

Regards
Hello again Ihorace :). I am understanding what you are saying, however i think we may be misunderstanding each other. The problem i have is that my VM, which was initially 50Gb worth of storage, had an added seperate SSD (the Plex volume) added to the VM, (you know in the hardware/options tab and "add storage (or what its called").
What i guess the restore did, was calculate the total sum of the VM + the added 1TB volume and created a 300gb compressed backup file. When i then try to restore it, the problem arises, as i guess it tries to allocate the entire compressed backup file on the remaining 169Gb. I need the backup to realise, that the backup is in fact two seperate volumes binded to each other.

The problem here is, the archive is 300G, so when you backed it up, it also probably backup the plex volume as well. That's my best guess why it's that size. You probably going to have untar, copy what you never to the extra drive while reduce it's size and re-tar.

Btw, I am not sure if qm restore is intelligent enough to know what data goes to what disk because Linux. Maybe the staff have a clue.

P.S. Try from console instead from the GUI, this might have more insight on what's going on, if it's indeed putting the data where it should go. If that's true, the problem is else where.

Thank you for your time Ihorace :), ill maybe try the unpacking of the backup-file and cherry pick what i need. I was hoping for the complete solution, but as you say, may not be possible

Hi,
Hi.!

I wanted to know how you did to solve it?

what command did you use?
note that this thread is four years old, so it might not be the same issue as with current versions. Please share the full restore log, the output of pveversion -v and the VM configuration from the backup. Note that you can select the target storage where you want to restore to in the UI. Does the issue happen only with a specific storage?

note that this thread is four years old, so it might not be the same issue as with current versions. Please share the full restore log, the output of pveversion -v and the VM configuration from the backup. Note that you can select the target storage where you want to restore to in the UI. Does the issue happen only with a specific storage?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!