Restore data of a .raw file

sn0wk3ys

Feb 12, 2022
Hi,
2 days ago my server had a problem: it had no more space left and therefore the panel no longer wanted to work so I decided to make a backup by hand by copying the .raw of my containers and then reinstalling proxmox on the other disk of my server and put my containers back on it. But it didn't work, I tried everything, I'm desperate. If I ever have a file normally containing old data but it's a disk file so I don't know how to recover my data. If anyone has a solution, I'm interested. Thank you for your attention.

But it didn't work, I tried everything,
hi,

what did not work exactly and what did you try?

if you have your ct images and you put them in the right directory again you should be able to do 'pct rescan' and it should add the found images to the container configs (then you can add them via the gui again)

I'm sorry but it's really hard to explain that on a forum and not on an instant message system like discord.
So I have try to do this : add my .raw ct file in '/var/lib/vz/images/100' and i do 'pct rescan' and in the page vm disk of one of my storages a new line appeared who called 'vm-100-disk-0.raw' (see the screenshot), but i don't know how to put that on a virtual machine or a container.

1644844239348.png

Last edited:
ok, first make sure you have a backup of that file

then, add a new container with that same id (100) and afterwards run pct rescan again. now you should have an 'unused' mountpoint in the resources view of that container which you can edit and add to the container,
then the data should be available in the ct under the specified path and you can begin to restore your data in the container

Yeah thank's you it's work but is there a way to make the new disk to the root disk ?
Thank's you you've save one year of my work !!

you could create a new container and replace the rootdisk file with yours by renaming

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!