Resetting pci passthrough

jan213

Aug 12, 2023
Hey there,

I passed through a sata controller to VM via PCI passthrough. I got errors after a while so I wanted to reset everything. My aim is to stop the passthrough to be able to use the sata controller inside proxmox and just share the disc space with the vm. but after removing the sata controller from my vm's hardware via gui Istill am not able to access the hdd's via proxmox. I also disabled IOMMU still I can't access HDD's attached to this controller via proxmox. Any ideas?

I am quiet new in this game so sorry for stupid questions. I am just afraid to setup proxmox from scratch again.

Check the files in /etc/modprobe.d/ for options vfio ids= that early bind the devices to the vfio-pci driver or blacklist the driver needed for the devices, and undo (and apply) your changes (and reboot Proxmox).

Thanks for your help first of all.
I havent applyed any changes there. furthermore this modprobe.d folder just contains one file "pve-blacklist.conf" which by itself only contains one entry that is: blacklist nvidiafb. which since I dont have a nvidia graphics card doesn't really make a lot off sense to me.

Do you have any further ideas? or am i doing something totally wrong since i am quiete a newbie on this. Thanks again for your help!

Do you have any further ideas? or am i doing something totally wrong since i am quiete a newbie on this. Thanks again for your help!
Did you reboot the Proxmox host, so the original driver could load? What is the output of cat /proc/cmdline? What changes did you make before passthrough?

ok so apparently, i just have accesss to my pcie controller again. what I did, I dont know, I disabled IOMMU before but that seemed to didn't change anything.

For the moment I am quiet happy! one thing I was wondering. I had issues with the pcie passthrough before, thats why i wanted to disable it. So could this have to do something with that there was nothing in the blacklist file? should I have added something there before. Cause in general I liked the approach just had very unstable behaviour.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!