Replication with an unstable Internet channel

VGusev2007

Renowned Member
May 24, 2010
Russia
Dear all, I want to setup a proxmox server on a remote site for prevent any kind of disaster.

I have from time to time little disconect of my Internet channel. What will proxmox do in this situation?

For example: 'Node A' sends a replica to 'Node B'. In during sync there was a problem with a Internet connection. What proxmox will do in this situation? It will stop a replica and I need to resync it manual or it will do restore replica as usual?

Best regards,

Setting up PM clusters over slow and distant links is not recommended even if it works, and you must have a cluster for GUI replication to work.
Just forget about the cluster with pvesr replication and do use pve-zsync. It will deal with all sorts of network failures just fine and still copy the data over.

replication via wan >> internet is completely wrong.
use backups zip, rar or whatever you want and push to a remote storage, recommend hours that traffic is slow for better performance

replication via wan >> internet is completely wrong.

Why? We do this without any problems on multiple servers for years. Obviously, you need to have a beefy line if there is much traffic, but normally the amount of transfered data is not that high.

What will proxmox do in this situation?

That depends on the amount of time the connection is down. Small outages like a few seconds without getting a new IP is no problem. You normally have a tcp timeout that lies in the minutes until the connection is considered dead the the replication job will crash. Normally, this should not be problem if you're not having outages every few minutes. The replication can (I'm not totally sure if PVE is using this) pause and continue, at least ZFS can in the newest incarnation and even if it does not, the replication will work. Internally it is based on ZFS send/receive, which is incremental so that you do not have to retransmit data that is already written completely on the remote site.

Setting up PM clusters over slow and distant links is not recommended even if it works, and you must have a cluster for GUI replication to work.
Just forget about the cluster with pvesr replication and do use pve-zsync. It will deal with all sorts of network failures just fine and still copy the data over.
Thank a lot for u! I'll test it for me!

Best regards,

Why? We do this without any problems on multiple servers for years. Obviously, you need to have a beefy line if there is much traffic, but normally the amount of transfered data is not that high.

That depends on the amount of time the connection is down. Small outages like a few seconds without getting a new IP is no problem. You normally have a tcp timeout that lies in the minutes until the connection is considered dead the the replication job will crash. Normally, this should not be problem if you're not having outages every few minutes. The replication can (I'm not totally sure if PVE is using this) pause and continue, at least ZFS can in the newest incarnation and even if it does not, the replication will work. Internally it is based on ZFS send/receive, which is incremental so that you do not have to retransmit data that is already written completely on the remote site.
Thank. It is a new info for me!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!