Replicate to new zfs disks

frankz

Nov 16, 2020
Hi everyone, I have a. cluster proxmox 6.3 and 3 nodes. I wanted to add 1 1TB disks for each node and enable zfs replication. I saw some indications that to make this replica you simply need to create a new zfs pool in the first node es. zfs-share (without the add device flag), then create a ZFS folder on the new pool named eg. VM-ZFS-REPLICA (invented name). Then you have to proceed identically on the other 2 nodes. At the end of the procedure I should find the VMS-ZFS-REPLICA folder and then be able to replicate. Not being very expert in proxmox, can this just described be correct? I also read that this mode just described is obsolete. At the moment I cannot install ceph and therefore I have to try with what is described. Thanks to all for info and any faqs.

Hi,

after you've added your disks to your nodes, you can go to Disks->ZFS to create the necessary pools (and PVE storages) in the GUI. You can then also create the ZFS storage replication in the GUI.

Reactions: frankz
Hi,

after you've added your disks to your nodes, you can go to Disks->ZFS to create the necessary pools (and PVE storages) in the GUI. You can then also create the ZFS storage replication in the GUI.
Ok, the important thing is to create the pool without adding flags and immediately after creating the ZFS card that needs to be shared. Then replicate everything on the 2 remaining nodes. Correct?

To use the replication feature you don't have to set any flags and I don't know what you mean by sharing a card.

To set up replication do the following:
1. Have an empty disk.
2. Go to Disks->ZFS-> Create ZFS
zpool1.png
3. Go to your other node and to the same, except that you now have to deselect Add Storage because you have already created it in step 2.
1607589052990.png

4. Go to Datacenter->Storage and in your new storage set Nodes to All (no restrictions) so that it is available on every node.
zpool3.png

Now you should be able to set up replication jobs in the GUI for guests that have their disks on your new storage.

Reactions: frankz
Ok, the important thing is to create the pool without adding flags and immediately after creating the ZFS card that needs to be shared. Then replicate everything on the 2 remaining nodes. Correct?
Frank, just to be sure you don't make a confusion:
With Proxmox you do not replicate a full storage, the replication is done for each VM. So there is no need for a "backup"/"replica"/"whatever special" storage on "destination", but just (at least) a storage with zfs (afaik in this moment replication works only on zfs-to-zfs). The "replicated" zvols will be like any other "primary" zvols on the destination machine.
Actually, if you can spare the space, vm replication will be great for live migrations, because they will run much much faster (only the delta from the last replication will be transferred, not the whole vm disks), and also you will have a copy of your VM for disaster recovery purposes.

Reactions: Dominic and frankz
Frank, just to be sure you don't make a confusion:
With Proxmox you do not replicate a full storage, the replication is done for each VM. So there is no need for a "backup"/"replica"/"whatever special" storage on "destination", but just (at least) a storage with zfs (afaik in this moment replication works only on zfs-to-zfs). The "replicated" zvols will be like any other "primary" zvols on the destination machine.
Actually, if you can spare the space, vm replication will be great for live migrations, because they will run much much faster (only the delta from the last replication will be transferred, not the whole vm disks), and also you will have a copy of your VM for disaster recovery purposes.
Yes, thanks, the replica refers to the VMs of course and clearly the last of the replicated is transferred. Thank you very much !

To use the replication feature you don't have to set any flags and I don't know what you mean by sharing a card.

1. Have an empty disk.
View attachment 21889
3. Go to your other node and to the same, except that you now have to deselect Add Storage because you have already created it in step 2.
View attachment 21890

4. Go to Datacenter->Storage and in your new storage set Nodes to All (no restrictions) so that it is available on every node.
View attachment 21891

Now you should be able to set up replication jobs in the GUI for guests that have their disks on your new storage.

1. Have an empty disk.
View attachment 21889
View attachment 21890

View attachment 21891

Thank you for clarifying graphically for the creation of the ZFS on cluster.

1. Have an empty disk.
View attachment 21889
View attachment 21890

View attachment 21891

1. Have an empty disk.
View attachment 21889
View attachment 21890

View attachment 21891

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!