[SOLVED] Replacing a failing hard drive

past12

May 16, 2022
Hello everybody,
I'm sorry, this is my first post, so please don't blame me if I'm missing some piece of information. Will be glad to provide you with all the required info useful to resolve my case.

I've installed Proxmox on a mini PC, on a M.2 sata 256GB hard drive, which is the only attached drive.
Now I'm receiving one mail a day stating that my hard drive has some unreadable sectors, so I'm willing to replace the failing hard drive.

Problem 1:
On the mini PC I only have one M.2 Sata slot.
The only M.2 Sata hard drive I could find at a (for me) affordable price, is not 256GB, but 240GB.

I have been able to use clonezilla to clone the failing drive to new drive via network (attaching the 240GB hd to another PC). I had to resize the physical partition using Gparted on the source drive to accomplish this.

Now, when I try to boot proxmox from the new drive, I receive the error `transaction_id is 0, while expected 71`. Sorry I don't remember the exact value, I guess 71, since I don't have the actual PC right now here with me, will check later if needed. Proxmox will boot, but all the VMs and containers I configured will not.

Reattaching the old drive, everything works as expected, even with the resized partition.

I guess I have to do some magic using lvm commands, but I don't know where to start.

Could you please give me some clue about this?

Maybe (but longer) solution would be to create snapshots for every VM and container and later restore them, but I would prefer a bare metal clone, if possible, to avoid futher configuration issues I may encounter on the new proxmox installation.

Solved the hard way: backed up all VMs and containers from the failing Proxmox node to a NAS, installed Proxmox from scratch in a new drive in the node, restored backups from NAS.

Reactions: jims888

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!