repairing proxmox VE with fsck

perplexedthinker

Aug 15, 2022
Hi guys,

So I came back to my trusted proxmox 5.15 VE running on an old Intel NUC which hasn't recovered well from a power outage.
On boot, I get this:

rsz_12022-08-14_204255.jpg

I've booted to a liveCD (tried Ubuntu, and now SystemRescue)

smartctl shows the drive as fine

lsblk output is as expected:
rsz_2022-08-15_142105.jpg

but when I try
Code:
fsck.ext4 -y /dev/sda3

all I get is
Code:
/dev/sda3 is in use
e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.

Any thoughts on why I can't fsck or another approach to this?

Cheers!

/dev/sda3 is a LVM partition and not a ext4 partition. I guess you would need to fsck the "pve-root" LV. Something like lvchange -ay /dev/pve/root && fsck /dev/pve/root. But first I would boot into clonezilla and backup that whole disk so you can always restore it if something goes wrong when trying to repair it.

Reactions: paszczakojad
Thanks for that, @Dunuin - that totally worked, and fsck came back clean. Which of course doesn't help with the underlying problem. Do you have any thoughts on what else I can try? I thought it might be the NIC, but I've no problems in liveCD environments.

Try to boot a PVE ISO and select rescue mode there. then you can have a look at the services journal (journalctl command).

/dev/sda3 is a LVM partition and not a ext4 partition. I guess you would need to fsck the "pve-root" LV. Something like lvchange -ay /dev/pve/root && fsck /dev/pve/root. But first I would boot into clonezilla and backup that whole disk so you can always restore it if something goes wrong when trying to repair it.
Following your advice was not successful:

root@warnow:/# lvchange -ay /dev/pve/root && fsck /dev/pve/root
fsck from util-linux 2.38.1
e2fsck 1.47.0 (5-Feb-2023)
/dev/mapper/pve-root is mounted.
e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.

Any hint?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!