Renamed a node; now all VMs broke?

SnAkEhIpS

Aug 20, 2018
I renamed my node (single node environment). After much grief, my VMs appeared under the old node name. Now that I have removed that old node name I see only the raw disk images on storage, but no VMs. Where should I look to recover them or can I attach these raw disks to new VMs if recovery is no longer possible?

Hi,
Where should I look to recover them or can I attach these raw disks to new VMs if recovery is no longer possible?
there is no backup of the Guest config.
You have two options.
1.) you have a backup you can restore the config from there.
Double click on the backup in the GUI and you get the config.
2.) you must create new Guest and edit the storage manually.

Ok I'm in deep water. New to Linux and Proxmox. When you say guest, you mean virtual machine I assume. When you say edit storage manually, I'm lost. I don't see a GUI option to attach an existing RAW disk image to a guest.

I'd prefer to learn how to correct this situation than to scrap everything and start from scratch. I'm taking detailed notes on all that I have done thus far in the way of resolving previous issues. This is my way of retaining some "functional" knowledge as I learn more about both Linux and Proxmox. My goal is to get LPIC1-3 certified. I'm studying but some of what I'm doing in Proxmox is further along than my studies. If there are any suggestions as to where else I might post this issue, please help me. I would greatly appreciate it. :)

I've created new VMs but have no option to restore from backup. So I must do it via command line. Whan I initially installed PVE it created 3 objects under my single node; "local', "local-lvm" (where the raw disk images are located), and "local-lvm2". So, from the ssh console, where do I navigate to in order to find these raw disk images and how would I then go about attaching them to the new vms?

I found it. I went to /etc/pve/qemu-server and edited the conf file for a new vm, adding an existing raw image disk image to it. Thank you both :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!