Removing a node, re-imaging it and re-adding to cluster

D

dougknows

I can't seem to find this process documented anywhere. I tried to delete and re-add node2:
  • # pvecm delnode node2
  • bring node2 down
  • put a fresh install of the latest Proxmox on node2 (all nodes are running this version)
  • start node2
  • from node2: # pvecm add node1

I got all kinds of key errors, and any attempt I made at fixing it without re-installing every node in the cluster failed.

Is there a step I'm missing here? No amount of reboots helped this.

Thanks,
Doug

I can't seem to find this process documented anywhere. I tried to delete and re-add node2:
  • # pvecm delnode node2
  • bring node2 down
  • put a fresh install of the latest Proxmox on node2 (all nodes are running this version)
  • start node2
  • from node2: # pvecm add node1

I got all kinds of key errors, and any attempt I made at fixing it without re-installing every node in the cluster failed.

Is there a step I'm missing here? No amount of reboots helped this.

Thanks,
Doug
Hi,
use -f for force...

Udo

Hi,
use -f for force...

Udo

When I tried that, I got:

Code:
root@swlvsh1:/etc/init.d# pvecm add node1 --force
root@node1's password: 
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/etc/pve/cluster.conf"
ccs_tool: Error: unable to parse requested configuration file

command 'ccs_tool lsnode -c /etc/pve/cluster.conf' failed: exit code 1
unable to add node: command failed (ssh node1 -o BatchMode=yes pvecm addnode swlvsh1 --force 1)

(I've replaced the full hostname, which resolves correctly, with node1 for this example.) /etc/pve/cluster.conf was a valid XML file, and it looked correct.

But you think the steps I followed are correct and should have worked, something else just got messed up along the way?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!