[SOLVED] Removed NVME drive lost networking

johnvick

Mar 1, 2022
Using 7.2-3 - I have an NVME drive I was using for VM and CT. It has bad sectors so is to be returned. I wiped the drive ready for this, removed it, restarted to find no networking. Couldn't ping the router. Other than that from the terminal I established the system was running OK.

I replace the NVME and the networking is back. How can I safely remove the drive?

This is /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp174s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.1.83/24
gateway 192.168.1.1
bridge-ports enp174s0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

iface wlp175s0 inet manual

Last edited:
I would assume that removing the NVME caused the pci-addresses in the system to change - and with that your NIC is not called `enp174s0` anymore but something else - see https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

in any case usually you can fix this by:
* logging in locally
* running `ip link show`
* looking for the new nic name (maybe it's simply enp173s0, but could also change to eno1....)
* replace the iface and bridge-ports line in /etc/network/interfaces
* reboot

I hope this helps!

Can it be possible to force used the card id (xxx:xxx) into a config file instead of auto assign name to them ? here as for nic card..

In my estimation this is a BUG, not specifically in Proxmox but in linux in general, the (un)predictable Network Interface Names are a stupid idea

It is actually kind of a hard problem what with the hardware vendors doing random things. The old "eth0" scheme had issues as well. Remember, the rules need to work on all kinds of systems that aren't "standard PC's":

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

To fix this problem multiple solutions have been proposed and implemented. For a longer time udev shipped support for assigning permanent "ethX" names to certain interfaces based on their MAC addresses. This turned out to have a multitude of problems, among them: this required a writable root directory which is generally not available; the statelessness of the system is lost as booting an OS image on a system will result in changed configuration of the image; on many systems MAC addresses are not actually fixed, such as on a lot of embedded hardware and particularly on all kinds of virtualization solutions.

You can use udev rules to assign names based on MAC address to go back to the old way, which will be consistent on most consumer hardware, at least until you change out a card...

If I change a card I know I changed a card AND I am physically present, so no problems at all.
If I know the MAC I can adjust the settings even before swapping the card

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!