Remove third host without reboot others

artisan1

Jun 16, 2023
Hello last year i removed the fourthy host, i dont remember how but doesn't had this impact, this week I rebooted one host (now have 3 on) with this just 2 on but at the same time the others 2 rebooted and lost qorum and resynced again, I turned on the other host again...

I tried reboot and put other ISO to format but this happened, whats the best method? shutdown using some commands? to remove cables from switch before shutdown? shutdown via iDRAC? what can i do to not impact on the other 2 nodes?

PVECM STATUS node that i wanna turn off and migrate to another infra.

OBS: IPs invented.

Cluster information
-------------------
Name: xxxxxxxxxxxx
Config Version: 6
Transport: knet
Secure auth: on

Quorum information
------------------
Date: Fri Jun 16 XXXXXXX 2023
Quorum provider: corosync_votequorum
Nodes: 3
Node ID: 0x00000003
Ring ID: 2.d0a
Quorate: Yes

Votequorum information
----------------------
Expected votes: 4
Highest expected: 4
Total votes: 3
Quorum: 3
Flags: Quorate

Membership information
----------------------
Nodeid Votes Name
0x00000002 1 10.10.10.1
0x00000003 1 10.10.10.2 (local)
0x00000004 1 10.10.10.3

logging {
debug: off
to_syslog: yes
}

nodelist {
node {
name: HOSTA-1
nodeid: 1
quorum_votes: 1
ring0_addr: 10.10.10.0
ring1_addr: 192.168.100.1
}
node {
name: HOSTB-2
nodeid: 2
ring0_addr: 10.10.10.1
ring1_addr: 192.168.100.2
}
node {
name: pve-iig-dc-r9-r720-1
nodeid: 3
ring0_addr: 10.10.10.2
ring1_addr: 192.168.100.3
}
node {
name: pve-iig-dc-r9-r720-2
nodeid: 4
ring0_addr: 10.10.10.3
ring1_addr: 192.168.100.4
}
}

quorum {
provider: corosync_votequorum
}

totem {
cluster_name: xxxxxxxx
config_version: 6
interface {
linknumber: 0
}
interface {
linknumber: 1
}
ip_version: ipv4-6
link_mode: passive
secauth: on
version: 2
}

You still have 4 nodes configured in your corosync configuration - that means corosync is expecting 4 votes, even though you only have 3 nodes.

Now, when you shut down a 2nd node, the other two nodes lose quorum since they only have 2 / 4 votes (which is not more than 50%, which is required) and they also fence [1] themselves since they have no quorum.

Did you make sure to follow the whole procedure for removing a node [2] when removing the fourth node last year? It seems like you didn't run pvecm delnode, which would remove the node from the nodelist.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#ha_manager_fencing
[2] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_remove_a_cluster_node

ohhhh thats illuminating, can i set this delnode from this node without vm or container now without impact?

ohhhh thats illuminating, can i set this delnode from this node without vm or container now without impact?

Yes you should be able to run it on any of the 3 left nodes. Please make sure to heed the warning in the documentation:

As mentioned above, it is critical to power off the nodebefore removal, and make sure that it will not power on again(in the existing cluster network) with its current configuration.If you power on the node as it is, the cluster could end up broken,and it could be difficult to restore it to a functioning state.

understand the first node removed last year doesnt will turn back, after this can I safely shutdown the other node and remove the vote from him from another 2 hosts?

understand the first node removed last year doesnt will turn back, after this can I safely shutdown the other node and remove the vote from him from another 2 hosts?

If you permanently remove the fourth host from your config, then you will be able to shutdown the other node - yes.

Do you want to remove the other host permanently as well? Then I would suggest looking into setting up a QDevice [1]

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cluster_Manager#_corosync_external_vote_support

Reactions: artisan1
ok, fourth host already removed, just run pvecm delnode?

after this, can i shutdown full the another host, i can wait the completly shutdown and just after run pvecm delnode, correct?

i think that's dont have a time limit for this delnode, correct?

my error was that the node second host that i wanna remove was just rebooted (tried boot with another ISO) and the qorum was losted, fortunately all cluster came back and qorum "ok" with 3 / 4 votes.

OBS: i'm now reading the documentation, sorry, i'm just afraid may it happen again.

Last edited:
ok, fourth host already removed, just run pvecm delnode?

yes

after this, can i shutdown full the another host, i can wait the completly shutdown and just after run pvecm delnode, correct?

Only if you want to PERMANENTLY remove the second host. If you only want to shut it down temporarily, then you do NOT need to run pvecm delnode - this command is only for PERMANENTLY removing a node from a cluster

yes

Only if you want to PERMANENTLY remove the second host. If you only want to shut it down temporarily, then you do NOT need to run pvecm delnode - this command is only for PERMANENTLY removing a node from a cluster
yep, but doesn't have problem to keep the node at the cluster config?

edited: oh the problem is the votes, i understand know

edited: oh the problem is the votes, i understand know
Yes, exactly! If you only have 3 nodes, then there are only 3 votes. So it is not a problem to shutdown one node then since there are still 2/3 (> 50%) votes left.

great support man, i will delnode now the host removed last year and i will shutdown the other host to make some changes are, very thankful

Reactions: shanreich
another question, to shutdown this second host, can i just power off the button or shutdown via iDRAC? the safest mode i think is shutdown physically... idk if "shutdown -h now" at the terminal of the host can be secure for this...

@shanreich i can't see my first node removed last year, if i execute this command: pvecm delnode pve-iig-dc-r9-r630-1, the proxmox will be able to remove the nodeid 1?

After removed the 1, i will shutdown node3 and after remove him too.

1687179606020.png

Last edited:
How does the corosync config look like?
Code:
cat /etc/pve/corosync.conf

What's in the syslog of the node?
Code:
journalctl --since '1 day ago' > syslog.txt

How does the corosync config look like?
Code:
cat /etc/pve/corosync.conf

What's in the syslog of the node?
Code:
journalctl --since '1 day ago' > syslog.txt
Code:
logging {
  debug: off
  to_syslog: yes
}

nodelist {
  node {
    name: pve-iig-dc-r9-630-1
    nodeid: 1
    ring0_addr: XXX.XX.XXX.X4
    ring1_addr: XXX.XX.XXX.X4
  }
  node {
    name: pve-iig-dc-r9-r630-2
    nodeid: 2
    ring0_addr: XXX.XX.XXX.X5
    ring1_addr: XXX.XX.XXX.X5
  }
  node {
    name: pve-iig-dc-r9-r720-1
    nodeid: 3
    ring0_addr: XXX.XX.XXX.X6
    ring1_addr: XXX.XX.XXX.X6
  }
  node {
    name: pve-iig-dc-r9-r720-2
    nodeid: 4
    ring0_addr: XXX.XX.XXX.X7
    ring1_addr: XXX.XX.XXX.X7
  }
}

quorum {
  provider: corosync_votequorum
}

totem {
  cluster_name: XXX.XX.XXX.X-DC
  config_version: 6
  interface {
    linknumber: 0
  }
  interface {
    linknumber: 1
  }
  ip_version: ipv4-6
  link_mode: passive
  secauth: on
  version: 2
}

Attachments

• syslogemptynode.txt
    88.9 KB · Views: 1
Ah sorry, I thought the node would still show up if it hasn't been removed - but it also doesn't show up in the output of both commands if it isn't online.

On which node did you run pvecm delnode pve-iig-dc-r9-630-1 ? Are there any errors when you run this command?

Ah sorry, I thought the node would still show up if it hasn't been removed - but it also doesn't show up in the output of both commands if it isn't online.

On which node did you run pvecm delnode pve-iig-dc-r9-630-1 ? Are there any errors when you run this command?

i will discover this more late, because i can't execute this right now, scare of another fencing hehe

i wil try run this at the nodeid 3, if removed and votes back to 3 / 3, I will shutdown the nodeid3 too.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!