[SOLVED] Remove node from cluster

alterman1994

Aug 6, 2021
Hello Guys,

I mistakenly added new node to cluster using public network (instead of storage one). I'm checking https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cluster_Manager#_remove_a_cluster_node

to remove the node. I powered off the machine (pve7) to make sure it will never power on again (going to reconfigure it from scratch)

Screenshot_568.png

However, when I execute pvecm nodes, I don't see this node listed

Code:
root@pve1:~# pvecm nodes

Membership information
----------------------
    Nodeid      Votes Name
         1          1 pve1 (local)
         2          1 pve2
         3          1 pve3
         4          1 pve4
         5          1 pve5
         6          1 pve6

How can I properly remove it? Could someone please assist? The cluster is in production, don't want to screw it up.

Proxmox version: 6.4-13

Thanks.

mira

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Aug 1, 2018
Yes, pvecm nodes only lists the active ones.
In the GUI you see the name of the node you want to delete. Use that for the command pvecm delnode as described in the docs/wiki.

alterman1994

Aug 6, 2021
@mira Hello, thank you for your feedback.

I run it and that's what I got:

Code:
root@pve1:~# pvecm delnode pve7
Could not kill node (error = CS_ERR_NOT_EXIST)
Killing node 7
command 'corosync-cfgtool -k 7' failed: exit code 1

Seems like it did the trick, I don't see pve7 anymore in gui, /etc/corosync/corosync.conf and /etc/pve/corosync.conf

However, do I need to worry about the output? Anything I need to reload after this operation? Sorry if questions look stupid to you.

Thanks in advance.

alterman1994

Aug 6, 2021
Nevermind, I've reinstalled it from scratch, cleaned old known_hosts and added new node properly.

Thanks for your great support!

Reactions: mira

proxwolfe

Jun 20, 2020
I, too, am trying to remove a node from my cluster (to set it up anew and rejoin it).

I managed to delete it using pvecm but it still showed up in the GUI.

So I removed the respective folder under /etc/pve/nodes and now it is gone.

But doing this, I discovered that I have another folder /etc/pve/nodes/pve which does not correspond to a node shown in the GUI or still in existence. My cluster has evolved over time and I removed all original nodes and replaced them with newer ones. It *may* be that one of the originals nodes was named "pve". Can I simply remove also this folder or might I kill my cluster?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Jannoke

Jannoke

Jul 13, 2016
You probably won't kill the clustet, but you can backup it and remove it and test if something goes wrong. You can always put it back. Just don't do it on working hours. Anyways thanks for the tip on removing the /etc/pve/nodes/<node> folder. I got to same point where it deleted the node but did not remove it from GUI.

cryptocurt

Jan 18, 2023
I, too, am trying to remove a node from my cluster (to set it up anew and rejoin it).

I managed to delete it using pvecm but it still showed up in the GUI.

So I removed the respective folder under /etc/pve/nodes and now it is gone.

But doing this, I discovered that I have another folder /etc/pve/nodes/pve which does not correspond to a node shown in the GUI or still in existence. My cluster has evolved over time and I removed all original nodes and replaced them with newer ones. It *may* be that one of the originals nodes was named "pve". Can I simply remove also this folder or might I kill my cluster?

Thanks
How did you remove the folder, I get an error; rm: cannot remove 'local': Is a directory I tried the -f flag but that's not working

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get your own in 60 seconds.

Buy now!