Removal of KSM in 1.6 was a bad idea (my opinion)

You really have such a tight system that you totally depend on KSM? Or is "my VMs would no start" a theoretical issue? (I am just trying to understand the issue).

Yes, and no.

Without KSM, PVE doesn't have so much for itself.
My server's already maxed out & adding memory isn't an option.

'Not starting' thread: http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/4580-KVM-will-not-start-after-upgrade-to-1.6.

I was in the middle of re-installing 1.5 when this blindsided me. After restoring I thought I was done, went to start a VM & the box said 'no'.

I don't know what I'm going to do.
Adding 'compile 2.6.32' to my to-do list seems a better option than 'look into provisioning another node'.

oh, so.. yes, sorry. i was trying to imagine up what was the purpose of:
"repo should contain version number such as 1.5 or 1.6 (they do for older releases) so there is no such mess doing normal maintenance."
what normal maintenance can be done "without mess", having this new separation between versions? what it's useful for?
- downgrade 1.6 systems?
- upgrade older systems to 1.5 and not 1.6?

Marco

so, since there will be no more updates there (pve1.5) a normal apt-get update + apt-get upgrade will update all (pve 1.5) hosts packages _except_ pve itself, which will remain "frozen" in its current version, without updates ever?

Marco

so, since there will be no more updates there (pve1.5) a normal apt-get update + apt-get upgrade will update all (pve 1.5) hosts packages _except_ pve itself, which will remain "frozen" in its current version, without updates ever?

Marco
You will recieve security upgrades for Debian Lenny, which is very important.

yes, i meant that. ok, it makes sense. it's a sort of "lock pve version here" switch, keeping all the other host updatable as usual...

Sorry to all, but I had to remove the pve1.6 repository - it broke normal updates (not sure how i can implement that).

The only bad thing in my opinion is
that the new 1.6 version does not include the 2.6.32-2 kernel with KSM (from proxmox ve 1.5) for systems and admins that only want KVM and KSM - and an update procedure that reuses the old kernel version, if a running kernel 2.6.32-2 kernel is found. So everybody would have been happy.

and an update procedure that reuses the old kernel version, if a running kernel 2.6.32-2 kernel is found. So everybody would have been happy.

just remove the virtual package 'proxmox-ve-2.6.32' - the you can install anything you want.

just remove the virtual package 'proxmox-ve-2.6.32' - the you can install anything you want.

I should have written: An update procedure that reuses the old 2.6.32-2 kernel automatically. - and that would not break the convention of using apt for release management without losing features and resulting in non operable systems (as written above). So everybody (including dummies, beginners, exotes, ...) would have been happy

2.6.32 is not made for production use. So the Proxmox VE team is free to do whatever they want with it. Stick to the 2.6.18 version if you don't want surprises or don't upgrade. 2.6.18 follows the newest Red Hat kernel which is good since the virtio drives is built for it. Personally I downgraded to 2.6.18 some days ago. Have had some issues but I will solve them eventually. I will again thank the Proxmox team for a great product!

@Halgeir: Forget 2.6.18, here we are talking about KSM! - 2.6.32 is in production use on proxmox ve 1.6 - definitely! 1.6 is not declared as beta - it is released - see the download area.

And again: it is not a good idea to offer upgrades that break legal configurations. Even if Halgeir may like this - i think it is bad. - And with 1.6 you can use the 2.6.32-KSM kernel from 1.5 - This kernel is tested and was still available and would not have broken some configurations. - Not to offer the old 1.5 KSM kernel was simply not wise - and i dont see any advantages - so in my opinion it was simply a bad idea. Of corse it is a great Product - that is why we are here...

2.6.32 is not made for production use. So the Proxmox VE team is free to do whatever they want with it. Stick to the 2.6.18 version if you don't want surprises or don't upgrade.

Probably you don't run any Windows machine. 2.6.32 and related KVM solved a lot of problems here.

bye,
rob

Does the build of KVM included with proxmox 1.6 still support KSM assuming the kernel does...
IE, if i stick to the older 2.6.32 kernel or use a custom compiled one will i still benefit from KSM?

yes.

The situation have changed. I have actually upgraded the kernel to 2.6.32 since last time. Didn't understand before that 2.6.32 was the stable kernel in the 1.6 release. The main reason for the upgrade was the KVM Windows servers. Now I understand that the removal of KSM is because of the openvz.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!