Remote access

AndreScalaPT

Dec 9, 2021
Hi everyone,
I've search for this topic but I can't find nothing related to.

Is possible to access my Proxmox server remotely? How?
I found something called PiKVM but it seams I can't control the Proxmox with that.

Thank you for your collaboration :)

Regards

Hi,

what kind of remote access are you looking for? Proxmox VE supports SSH per default, which allows you to control all aspects of the system remotely from a terminal. You can even forward the GUI port to your local machine and interact with the GUI that way. To do that you can use the command ssh root@<ip/hostname of your sever> -L 8006:localhost:8006 you then have to enter your root password. After that you can open https://localhost:8006 in a browser to access the GUI.

SSH is very versatile and can be configured in many ways, if you look around the web you can likely find many tutorials about how to use it. This is just an example.

Last edited:
Hi,

what kind of remote access are you looking for? Proxmox VE supports SSH per default, which allows you to control all aspects of the system remotely from a terminal. You can even forward the GUI port to your local machine and interact with the GUI that way. To do that you can use the command ssh root@<ip/hostname of your sever> -L 8006:localhost:8006 you then have to enter your root password. After that you can open https://localhost:8006 in a browser to access the GUI.

SSH is very versatile and can be configured in many ways, if you look around the web you can likely find many tutorials about how to use it. This is just an example.
Hey @sterzy thank you for your help.

With that can I access my server outside my network?

I'll try to look around how that works before break my instalation :eek:;)

Thanks

With that can I access my server outside my network?
Well you'll need some way of reaching your Proxmox host first, otherwise SSH won't work. How you accomplish this is up to you, maybe you already have access to another host within the same network that you can use to access your Proxmox host. It depends on your setup.
I'll try to look around how that works before break my instalation :eek:;)
Just connecting to your Proxmox host via SSH shouldn't break anything so don't worry too much :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!