Reinstalled Proxmox, How to add ZFS Pool Back Without Losing Data?

wheen

Sep 11, 2017
Hi,

A while ago Proxmox started misbehaving and I finally got around to reinstalling it. Now I'm trying to figure out how to attach my old ZFS Pool (4x2TB in raid 10) back into the new install of Proxmox without losing any of the data I had from before. I haven't touched proxmox or ZFS in a few months, so I'm kinda rusty. Googling is coming up empty on this particular situation, and everything on the wiki seems to refer to creating a new pool which I fear may erase the data.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

But how do you reinstall over disks with an existing rpool? There's not even a shell console available to be able to dd if=/dev/zero to the drives to erase them, or say reinstall with ext3/4/xfs raid5 or 10 to overwrite them...

And which devices in a zfs raid 10 are bootable (ie master boot record set to load grub stage 1)? All or just the first?

EDIT: seems only two devices are partitioned in a multi-disk ( >2) ZFS Raid10 install. So I assume only those two would be bootable.

To solve the existing rpool disk I had to boot a debian live, zero the disks with dd, then restart the prox install. I wish that rpool was not named rpool but rpool-$UUID for each install to avoid conflicts.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!