Recovering PBS datastores from a system disc crash

Fathi

May 13, 2016
Tunis, Tunisia
Hi,
I have a PBS with three discs, one for the PBS operating system itself and two others discs configured as independent data stores.
The operating system disc broke. I replaced it with a new one on which i have installed PBS 2.4 and now, i would like to "import" the two datastores with all the backeps the contain in this new installation.
I have mounted one this ext4 formatted discs in the new installation, and found they seem to be healthy.
Backups have not been encrypted.
I could eventually mount the old broken system disc and try to recover some config files, but which ones ?
I am thinking as if my discs were tapes and the tape system broke; so, naturally it could be possible to rewind them on another tape drive and recover the data they hold.
TIA
Fathi.

I have recovered the /etc/proxmox-backup directory and copied all .cfg files to the newly installed system disk.
Now, I am getting errors when trying to visualize any of the datastores contents:
unable to open chunk store 'local-sdb-sata3-1T' at "/mnt/datastore/local-sdb-sata3-1T/.chunks" - No such file or directory (os error 2)
unable to open chunk store 'long-term' at "/mnt/datastore/long-term/.chunks" - No such file or directory (os error 2
1685121797260.png
Should I try to copy the content of /mnt/datastore from the previous broken disk as /mnt/datastore doesn't even exist on the new installation ?

Created /mnt/datastore and missing subdirectories.
Mounted each subdirectory to the corresponding disk partition (data store).
Now, i can see my previous backups.
This is a temporary measure. There are probably other things missing.
Original /etc/fstab from previous installation doesn't contain any reference to the datastores. How were they mounted at boot ? so I could reproduce that behaviour.

Last edited:
Found two other files under /etc/systemd/system. It seems that the datastores are mounted as services.
The system files have strange characters in the file names.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!