Recommendations Needed (Proxmox Setup)

Dennis Ayala

Jul 20, 2018
I'm evaluating Proxmox as a replacement for one of our vSphere 6 clusters. Our hardware is:

IBM Bladecenter H
IBM HS22 Blades
Qlogic HBA modules
IBM DS3525 Dual-controller SAN storage connected via Fibre Channel network

Since I'm new to Proxmox, I would like to know any recommendations from all of you Proxmox masters on how can I achieve to implement Proxmox and have this features available:

Cluster
HA
Live migration
Snapshots

This four components are critical for my setup and would like to leverage my 16 gbps fibre SAN network for storage, thus avoid using technologies such as NAS (iSCSI or NFS).

I would really appreciate your input.

Best regards,

Dennis

Everything except Snapshots is directly possible with LVM over FC and we use this in production for years.

For a "real" SAN (one that you bought with HA and does not internally use ZFS), this is the only setup you can use without using unsupported or works-sometimes technologies like GFS2 and OCFS2. I haven't tried GFS in the last 2 years, but before that, it wasn't stable to provide a cluster filesystem (shared-blockdevice). Very sad, but that is unfortunately the truth.

I'd recommend to evaluate GFS2 and OCFS2 and see if it fits your performance and stability requirements and fall back to LVM over FC with HA, Live Migration but without Snapshots.

I'm evaluating Proxmox as a replacement for one of our vSphere 6 clusters. Our hardware is:

IBM Bladecenter H
IBM HS22 Blades
Qlogic HBA modules
IBM DS3525 Dual-controller SAN storage connected via Fibre Channel network

Since I'm new to Proxmox, I would like to know any recommendations from all of you Proxmox masters on how can I achieve to implement Proxmox and have this features available:

Cluster
HA
Live migration
Snapshots

This four components are critical for my setup and would like to leverage my 16 gbps fibre SAN network for storage, thus avoid using technologies such as NAS (iSCSI or NFS).

I would really appreciate your input.

Best regards,

Dennis
Hi Dennis, You asked exactly the same question back in July https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-cluster-with-san-storage.40756/#post-218816 where you got exactly the same answers! So now it would be time for you to show that you have done some homework;-)

Hi Dennis, You asked exactly the same question back in July https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-cluster-with-san-storage.40756/#post-218816 where you got exactly the same answers! So now it would be time for you to show that you have done some homework;-)

That post is from the same date this was, about two days ago. I joined the forums in July.

Anyway, I have setup a two node cluster with LVM over FC, everything works great except I don't have snapshot support which is critical for our operation. We use snapshots when updating our different SaaS platforms to allow us to rollback in case of issues among other things.

Regards,

Dennis

works great except I don't have snapshot support which is critical for our operation.
If snapshot is missing critical and you must use a SAN solution you need to purchase a SAN which supports snapshotting LUN's on the SAN side. For IBM I think you need to look at Storwize.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!