recommendation for an hardware for PBS

benoitc

Dec 21, 2019
I am wondering what kind of hardware people are using for PBS. I am actually hesitate between using an HPE proliant DL160 (bronze) CPU with 4 disks or an HPE DL180, which may be too much . Anything not expensive to advise that can liev in anoffice space? I am wondering supermicro are way too loud for that. Thoughts?

I run it on my qnap TS-563 with a quad core AMD Jaguar SoC and it has absolutely no problems with pbs. Will switch to a Supermicro Atom-Board in a couple of months, though. But first I have to build a custom case because of limited space available :)

I did benchmarks and pbs runs on basically everything.

I use it on my synology nas in a vm.

1GB RAM and 1vcpu per pve node works fine.

CPU is barely used and drive bandwidth is maxed out.

Reactions: ph0x
It runs fine here on old Athlon 64 X2 hardware. Also, a modern Proxmox container with 0.25 vcpu works fine. However, I did have problems completing some of my backups with less than 3GB of memory for PBS.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!