Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 no internet connection on FIRST installation

Showman03

Oct 23, 2024
Hey Guys!

Total noob here. Just wanted to set up my first home server for homeassistant and plex. I bought a mini PC with N95, and now i figured out, that with a Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 NIC.

I installed proxmox, but i have no internet connection (cant ping proxmox, cant ping anything from proxmox, cant acces gui). Thank to this forum I think i figured out that the problem is the driver for my NIC, even tho i installed the latest version (8.2-2), and all these issues I found were in previous releases.

I also found tutorials to change reposatories and update/disable the drivers, but obviuosly i can't do that without internet connection.

Is this still supposed to be an issue or I have some different problem?
Can someone please help me identify that this is actually my problem and if so, is there an offline solution?

Please tell me what command i need to put in if you need more information to help.

Thank you very much!

Lots of people have trouble configuring the network the first time and there are lots of threads about how to troubleshoot that.
In your case, I fear that the network devices is too new and Proxmox does not (yet) have drivers for it (several threads about that, if I remember correctly). Installing a driver for it is a lot of hassle when you don't have a working network connection. Maybe (temporarily) use a PCIe add-in or USB network device that is known to work instead?
WiFi is not supported but can be made to work (with limitations) but that is also much easier when you already have a working network connection.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!