RDP into VMs from external IP

IzaacJ

Jan 9, 2020
Sweden
Hello.

Situation is this, I've got a few Windows VMs setup that I would love to have RDP access to through, if possible, something like this:

Connection url: rdp://[name].domain.tld -> Routing the RDP connection to VM1
Connection url: rdp://[anothername].domain.tld -> Routing the RDP connection to VM2

The [name] can be any string that manually gets mapped to a certain VM

I know there is Guacamole that I can use, and I probably would've if my laptop was better. Using the Windows 10 RDP client to connect to the VMs works great internally, but Guacamole lags a lot, even when on the internal network.

I've read about Microsoft RDP Gateway, which sounds like a some-what good way, however I am NOT even remotely interested in switching from Proxmox to Windows Server for this since most things I use the server for are ubuntu containers.

I could probably setup Windows Server in a VM as well, but I'm worried that it would take up too much of my already limited resources.

My hardware is a Dell PE T610 with dual Xeon E5530, 16GB RAM and 250GB HDD. So the RAM and HDD space is quite low until I can afford a PERC H700, a couple of 2.5" drives and some more RAM.

Nice simple option is just publish RDP on two diffrent ports, and have each port forward to a different machine, or change the port RDP is listening on on one machine (in case of nat loop back working on your router, tho i sound like it is from above)

###WARNING###
RDP is not really considered safe to publish without a proxy or some other filtering in front of it

Nice simple option is just publish RDP on two diffrent ports, and have each port forward to a different machine, or change the port RDP is listening on on one machine (in case of nat loop back working on your router, tho i sound like it is from above)

###WARNING###
RDP is not really considered safe to publish without a proxy or some other filtering in front of it

That could work, but then all those RDP sessions depend on the router and not on the server.

Oh, is it possible to do something like that using haproxy? Already using it to proxy requests depending on subdomain and some requests are only allowed within the internal network.

That could work, but then all those RDP sessions depend on the router and not on the server.

Oh, is it possible to do something like that using haproxy? Already using it to proxy requests depending on subdomain and some requests are only allowed within the internal network.

Never looked into haproxy, used squid on pfsense, but http and https are very different beasts from RDP

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!