RAW format ?

If i well understood, the main (and only) advantage of qcow2 format, compared to raw format, is encryption ?

What i don't understand : how does encryption function/enable ?

Because, i suppose, i can take, any qcow2 image and restore it on any proxmox.. can't i ?

If i well understood, the main (and only) advantage of qcow2 format, compared to raw format, is encryption ?

What i don't understand : how does encryption function/enable ?

Because, i suppose, i can take, any qcow2 image and restore it on any proxmox.. can't i ?

I think that encryption give a bit of overhead...and this 1.4v appears a bit slower than 1.3

I just use a clonezilla live cd today to move a raid10 (4 x 250 GB) to a new raid10 (4 x 1 GB) disk, all connected to an adaptec 3805 raid controller. no issues (disk to disk copy of a full running Proxmox VE).

I reading all the posts and noticed that i forgot to mention something about why i use Acronis :

Acronis has a module called "Universal Restore" in order to inject the right HAL during restore.

Indeed, as when you restore one physical host to another different physical host, the OS never boots in reason of the famous 0x000007b error...

Well, used to do it with physical hosts, i suppose the problem remains the same in case of physical to virtual host...

Some feedback about such experiences ?

I reading all the posts and noticed that i forgot to mention something about why i use Acronis :

Acronis has a module called "Universal Restore" in order to inject the right HAL during restore.

Indeed, as when you restore one physical host to another different physical host, the OS never boots in reason of the famous 0x000007b error...

Well, used to do it with physical hosts, i suppose the problem remains the same in case of physical to virtual host...

Some feedback about such experiences ?

report a bug/feature request to acronis? looks the universal restore is not working. I never tried this but if you are right here acronis can solve this.

Sorry, i have bad explained :

previously i was talking about acronis, working perfectly, for the P2V operation on Proxmox...

But someone told preferring Clonezilla...

So now, i wanted to be more accurate on the reason i chose Acronis...

Because i don't think Clonezilla can serve the task "P2V" (for the 0X000007B reason)...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!