Random system freeze on PN51-E1

It seems my crashes are more often, when the Proxmox is under load.
I had it running without anything else than Proxmox, and it crashed after approximately 2 days.
When I run one or 2 machines on it, it crashes more.

I stumbled over this thread, since I had the same problem with my PN51E.
In my case the onboard Ethernet port seemed to be responsible for the freezes... After switching to an USB-C/Ethernet adapter ( https://amzn.eu/d/82g2Tph ) for the LAN connection, the system runs without any problems for 3 days now.

In my case the onboard Ethernet port seemed to be responsible for the freezes... After switching to an USB-C/Ethernet adapter ( https://amzn.eu/d/82g2Tph ) for the LAN connection, the system runs without any problems for 3 days now.
Omg - why didn't I try this.
I'll get a USB network adapter today and report back in the new year.

I'm testing this as well, did a reinstall of Proxmox last night with a USB-C NIC, been running with my workload all night, no freezes so far.

Also did some testing last couple of weeks with Ubuntu, was running fine until I installed KVM/QEMU manually, and after starting two VM's, it did freeze after a couple of hours. Some issue with NIC in combo with KVM maybe? Bridge?

Sadly swapping to a USB NIC didn't help :-/
Tried to used both nic as well, where the integrated one as a dedicated for management, and the usb in the bridge for VM's.

@Bobo123 is your system still stable? If so can you describe what you did - did you change anything with respect to the onboard ethernet, e.g. disable it?

/Jeppe

Funny thing I can add to my problems.
I brought a USB-C to Gigabit network card. Reinstalled Proxmox and restored my Home Assistant. It still crashes as I wrote earlier.
Now comes the funny part.
When the computer was crashed/unresponsive I powered off the computer by force (holding power button for more than 5 secs).
The Asus PN51E is connected to a small 8 port gigabit switch, so I can have my backup laptop for Home Assistant connected as well.
After the power was off the ASUS PN51E, the USB-C network card still got power from the USB port. The USB-C network card was still blocking/flooding the network, even though the power was off, so I couldn't access Home Assistant on the laptop connected to the small switch. After I unplugged the USB-C NIC the laptop with Home Assistant was reachable again.
I'll try to replace the memory tomorrow, but unsure if it will help.

Switched to a TP-Link USB-C Card with chipset AX88179 yesterday.
And disable integrated LAN controller from the BIOS menu, will see how this works out.

Also, for people that want to try this, and have VMs that uses VLAN tagging, you might need to rename your NIC interface name. As the long name will cause problems, when trying to attach VLAN tags to the NIC.

Have been running TrueNAS SCALE last couple of days as it also uses Debian and QEMU, and after moving the same workload over it has been running now for a couple of days without any issue. Will keep it running to see if it's stable, or if it freezes later.

Update: it did freeze, just did take more time...

Code:
root@truenas[~]# qemu-system-x86_64 --version
QEMU emulator version 5.2.0 (Debian 1:5.2+dfsg-11+deb11u2)
Copyright (c) 2003-2020 Fabrice Bellard and the QEMU Project developers
root@truenas[~]# uname -a
Linux truenas 5.10.142+truenas #1 SMP Mon Sep 26 18:20:46 UTC 2022 x86_64 GNU/Linux
root@truenas[~]#

Last edited:
Well, it seems that USB-C network card didn't help solve this issue. But it did prolong the time between each freezes.
Still gives the same "kernel tried to execute NX-protected page - exploit attempt?" in dmesg with Kernel 6.1.0-1-pve

Tried the latest BIOS (v0505) and the latest kernel (6.1.6-1).
Didn't improve the situation, dmesg still gives the same error.

Tried the latest BIOS (v0505) and the latest kernel (6.1.6-1).
Didn't improve the situation, dmesg still gives the same error.
I've just installed Promos on a PN51 and is experiencing the exact same issues

Random crashes even without any VMs running. Installed latest BIOS this morning with same issue

I've tried to install Windows 11 on the pc now.
Until further it has been running rock solid with a Virtualbox VM Ubuntu Server on top of Windows.

I've not been able to make it run proxmox stable.

I've tried to install Windows 11 on the pc now.
Until further it has been running rock solid with a Virtualbox VM Ubuntu Server on top of Windows.

I've not been able to make it run proxmox stable.
Same here.
Hate to say, but I'll try installing windows server with Hyper-V on PN51 for now.

As I wrote in another thread (here), 3 weeks ago I did a routine update/upgrade of my Proxmox server, and it has been running without issues since then. I have decided to let it run until it's been stable for a month (fingers crossed) before updating again.

My journey is something like this:
  1. Original issue: Proxmox crashed every week or so
  2. Upgraded to 6.x kernel -> Proxmox crashed a couple times a week
  3. Upgraded my PN51-S1 (not E1) to newest BIOS firmware 0112 -> no change
  4. Downgraded to default 5.x kernel -> back to crashing once a week
  5. Periodic updates of proxmox until 3 weeks ago -> It hasn't crashed since
Maybe "someone fixed something" in the Linux kernel? I certainly keep my fingers crossed ;)

As I wrote in another thread (here), 3 weeks ago I did a routine update/upgrade of my Proxmox server, and it has been running without issues since then. I have decided to let it run until it's been stable for a month (fingers crossed) before updating again.

My journey is something like this:
  1. Original issue: Proxmox crashed every week or so
  2. Upgraded to 6.x kernel -> Proxmox crashed a couple times a week
  3. Upgraded my PN51-S1 (not E1) to newest BIOS firmware 0112 -> no change
  4. Downgraded to default 5.x kernel -> back to crashing once a week
  5. Periodic updates of proxmox until 3 weeks ago -> It hasn't crashed since
Maybe "someone fixed something" in the Linux kernel? I certainly keep my fingers crossed ;)
Do you still have the update history (/var/log/apt/history.log[.*])? Would be interesting to see which kernel versions were used previously and which one is in use now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!