[SOLVED] r8168 broken after pve-kernel update/upgrade

MapManagement

Nov 27, 2023
Hey,

a few days ago I updated my Proxmox host system via apt update and apt upgrade. Since I'm still using PVE 7.4, it tried upgrading the pve-kernel package from 7.4.7 to 7.4.8. However, after rebooting my server later on, it wasn't connected to my network anymore.

My system uses a r8168 ethernet controller and I already changed the driver from r8169 to r8168 in the past to avoid problems. I've never faced any problems until now. It seems like the interface completely vanished, at least I cannot find it anymore using common commands like ip link show or ip address. Other interfaces, like guest bridges and my Wi-Fi card are not affected at all. lspci shows me, that the ethernet controller is recognized and is using the r8168 driver.

I'm aware that there are multiple problems with that exact ethernet controller, especially concerning the PVE 8 update, but I wasn't able to get it to work again.

I really hope to fix this problem soon and therefore appreciate any help I can get. Just tell me if you need any more information about my system.

Hi,

Please always use apt dist-upgrade instead of `apt upgrade` this is highly recommended. Regarding the issue, please post the output of `ip a` command, and the network configuration of your PVE cat /etc/network/interfaces.

I was able to resolve the problem. Eventhough I already removed the r8168-dkms package and unloaded the module, my controller still tried to load it. After purging the package and resetting the module to r8169, it reappeared as a link.
Thank you :)

I'm glad to hear that you fixed the issue yourself!

I will go ahead and set your thread as [SOLVED] in order to help people who have the same issue.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!