Quickly loosing space on LVN-Thin volume

Sasha Sandow

Mar 15, 2017
One installation of Proxmox is running 5.1-41, we were having issues with backups growing larger (presumably because of un-reclaimed space). We made sure all the Server2008R2 VM had "sutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0" enabled but this was not helping. Even though it was a newer OS we ran "sdelete", while this helped to cut many of our backups in half, the space on the LVN-Thin volume started to increase drastically. We were able to change all large secondary drives within the VMs to Virtio-SCSI and enable TRIM and while I thought this would do some good ever time, it seems to be having the opposite effect. Now none of our deleted space seems to be getting passed to Proxmox proper we are at 91.34% full on our nearly 4TB LVN-Thin volume. Based on our backups which are slightly compressed we are only really using slightly over 1.5TB (between the 5 VMs) but because of large temporary backups of SQL and local backup software, which are deleted after the backups it shows we are using 3.29TB out of 3.61TB in Proxmox. How do I reclaim, what I am suspecting is deleted space for these Windows Server2008R2, so that Proxmox recognizes it. Our server has almost crashed once because it claims it was too full, I was able to remove 2 500GB drives that are just used for backup caching and re-add them, but it seems this solution was temporary again, we are about to fill up and crash again. This number appears to not be going down because of TRIM just slowly growing.

Please Help
Thanks,
Sasha

All these volumes were virtio-block before having the issue with backup file size and I can't recall ever having a space issues. I know I can probably wipe out the server, reload and configure a new version of Proxmox and restore all VM backups but this will take time (almost a whole weekend and it seems like moving foward it will have the same issue please advise....

Thanks,
Sasha

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!