Question: best use of multiple VLANs with only one vNIC

D

Deleted member 116138

Hi!

I'm a little bit confused about what the best approach would be when it comes to the use of multiple VLANs in VMs without using dedicated virtual adapters for each VLAN.

As an example (test lab setup):

PVE#1

- LACP Bond0 (802.03ad) connected to switch#1, VLAN10, VLAN20, VLAN30, VLAN40 and VLAN50 are tagged on the switch' LACP ports 1-4.
- running 2x Windows Server 2022 VMs (1x Active Directory DC, 1x DHCP/Fileserver) & 2x Windows 11 VMs

PVE#2

- LACP Bond0 (802.03ad) connected to switch#2, VLAN10, VLAN20, VLAN30, VLAN40 and VLAN50 are tagged on the switch' LACP ports 1-4.
- running 2x Windows Server 2022 VMs (1x Active Directory DC, 1x DHCP/Fileserver) & 2x Windows 11 VMs

Switch#1 and switch#2 are connected by a LAG/Trunk. A OPNsense is currently managing routes and rules for each VLAN (interfaces connected to switch#2).

My goal

Using only one vNIC on each Windows Server. It would be a pain adding 5 separate vNICs to each Windows Server to "talk" to each VLAN. For example: the DHCP servers in Windows shall assign IPs to each VLAN scope without having a vNIC in that VLAN/Subnet.

What would be the best approach? Using/creating an Open vSwitch within Proxmox?

But - afaik - this would „expose“ the VM to all VLANs which are tagged on the vmbr‘s switch ports, correct?

Edit: or could I use multiple vmbr with manual entries for specific VLANs?

Last edited by a moderator:
But - afaik - this would „expose“ the VM to all VLANs which are tagged on the vmbr‘s switch ports, correct?
not available in gui, but you can edit vm config file, and add: "netx: ....,trunks=10,20,30,50-60" for example, to filtering vlans for a specific vm

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!