question about NFS storage and ISOs

axel2078

Oct 15, 2021
I thought I posted this question earlier, but now I can't seem to find it.

I'm new to ProxMox. I just installed it last night. I was able to successfully add a NFS share to it. I store all my ISO images on my NAS, and share it via NFS. Anyway, I shared it from the root of the ISOs directory on the NAS, called ISOs, but on the NAS itself, it is organized based on type, such as a folder for Linux, a folder for Windows, a folder for FreeBSD, etc. I noticed that when I tried to build a machine and I selected the NFS mount for the ISO image, nothing showed. Is there not a browse function? Will I have to set up a NFS mount for each ISO folder (one for Linux, one for Windows, etc)?

Edit: I noticed that the ISOs directory is mounted on /mnt/pve/NAS. From the pve console, I can browse to that directory and see all the subdirectories and the contents within. Why doesn't that show up when trying to select the ISO during the vm build process?

You did, and I wrote an answer but when I wanted to post it the thread was missing. I guess if you didn't deleted that thread it was the SPAM protection which has hidden that thread because you are a new user.

PVE needs its ISOs in a specific path. If you mount your share to "/mnt/pve/NAS" your ISOs has to be stored in "/mnt/pve/NAS/template/iso". And it really needs to be this one folder only, not additional subfolders inside "/mnt/pve/NAS/template/iso".
If you can't use that share for ISOs you probably didn't selected "Iso image" as "content type" for that storage. If you select "Iso image" as content type PVE should create the "./template/iso" subfolders by its own.

Last edited:
You did, and I wrote an answer but when I wanted to post it the thread was missing. I guess if you didn't deleted that thread it was the SPAM protection which has hidden that thread because you are a new user.

PVE needs its ISOs in a specific path. If you mount your share to "/mnt/pve/NAS" your ISOs has to be stored in "/mnt/pve/NAS/template/iso". And it really needs to be this one folder only, not additional subfolders inside "/mnt/pve/NAS/template/iso".
If you can't use that share for ISOs you probably didn't selected "Iso image" as "content type" for that storage. If you select "Iso image" as content type PVE should create the "./template/iso" subfolders by its own.
Ah, thank you for getting back to me. So, the export on my NAS is /data/ISOs, so I just created the template/iso path under that ISOs directory and I put a few .iso files in there. I just added the NFS share back and I see those iso files in the Web UI. I'm on my way to installing my first VM. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!