Query regarding RAID

Syed Maaz Rehan

Mar 15, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I have a query regarding implementation of RAID in proxmox. I wish to implement RAID on my white box solution. As per the technical specs it supports "Dual Storage (mSATA SSD & 2.5" SATA SSD/HDD)". is it possible to implement RAID?

In simple terms can I implement raid with one mSATA SSD drive and one 2.5" SATA HDD? This is what I am running at the moment.

Moreover, what is the criteria for disks in order for us to make sure that they are good for RAID implementation?

Kindly shed some light on this topic.

If you installed proxmox over a debian installation, everything is possible.

at home :

Code:
root@prox1:~# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]
md0 : active raid1 sda2[0](W) mmcblk0p1[2]
      3904512 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]

you can see the W on sda for

-W, --write-mostly
subsequent devices listed in a --build, --create, or --add command will be flagged as 'write-mostly'. This is valid for RAID1 only and means that the 'md' driver will avoid reading from these devices if at all possible. This can be useful if mirroring over a slow link.

I installed proxmox on a bare metal machine with no OS previously installed. I installed proxmox version 5.2 on it. Isn't proxmox built on linux debian?

I have another question. When deploying raid , the drive on which the proxmox os is installed, this drive also participates in the raid or not?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!