Qubes OS via Nested Virtualization (?)

ferociousmilkyway

Aug 2, 2018
Has anyone here tried or gotten Qubes OS running on Proxmox via Nested Virtualization?

I did some searching (can't find anything) and I'm guessing anyone running Qubes OS would prefer it running on bare-metal for maximum security.

should work for evaluation purposes - but it kind of defeats the whole approach of qubes if you have another hypervisor on top of it ;)

Thanks for the answers. Definitely just for evaluation. My old Laptop doesn't have VT-d and I want to see if upgrading would be worth it just for Qubes.

Could someone manage to make Qubes OS work under Proxmox? Is there any special settings for it? Like kernel, scsi controller or something else?

This is how i set it up:

Memory: 8GB
Processors: 4(2 sockets, 2 cores) [host]
BIOS: Default (SeaBIOS)
Display: SPICE (qxl)
Machine: Default (i440fx)
SCSI Controller: VirtIO SCSI
Hard Drive: 100GB

Unfortunately i can't even boot the installation ISO, the guest is always rebooting.

Thanks any help you can provide!

Can't get it to work either. When installing on a machine without virtualization it gave a warning but at least installed. On proxmox I only see this:
1622970496362.png

I could imagine that the installer refuses to run in a virtual environment. QubesOS is all about security which is pretty much obsolete when installed as a VM.

I could imagine that the installer refuses to run in a virtual environment. QubesOS is all about security which is pretty much obsolete when installed as a VM.
Thanks. This could be a possible explanation. While i have my Qubes OS on real HW, i just wanted to make a virtual one just for testing some stuff. It is more convenient if i make any mistake i just roll back to my snapshot, then reinstall it again.

I tried installing it last night and it warned me that some aspects were missing for qubes to work proprly and i contnued with the instalation and as i was going to school today it says the instalation failed

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!