Quad Port Ethernet Adapter Installation Problem

garyhook

Renowned Member
Jun 19, 2015
I'm working with Proxmox VE 3.4 fresh install on a Poweredge 2950 Gen II with a Riverbed CMP-00074 quad port Ethernet (PCI-X) card. The install went fine and i can see both of the integrated Boardcom GBe ports assigned to eth0 and eth1 however none of the quad ports are claimed?

The card appears to be recognized as a Silicom Ltd. Silicom Quad port Copper Giga Ethernet 546GB Bypass Server Adapter (PXG4BPI) (rev 03)

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Below is an excerpt from the output from lspci -vv

0f:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicom Ltd. Silicom Quad port Copper Giga Ethernet 546GB Bypass Server Adapter (PXG4BPI) (rev 03)
Subsystem: Silicom Ltd. Silicom Quad port Copper Giga Ethernet 546GB Bypass Server Adapter (PXG4BPI)
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr+ Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 64 (63750ns min), Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 6
Region 0: Memory at fc5e0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
Region 4: I/O ports at ccc0
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
Capabilities: [e4] PCI-X non-bridge device
Command: DPERE- ERO+ RBC=512 OST=1
Status: Dev=0f:04.0 64bit+ 133MHz+ SCD- USC- DC=simple DMMRBC=2048 DMOST=1 DMCRS=16 RSCEM- 266MHz- 533MHz-
Capabilities: [f0] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Address: 0000000000000000 Data: 0000

Are there additional ethernet ports seen after doing this?
Code:
ll /sys/class/net/

If you see them there, it's just a matter of configuring them in /etc/network/interfaces file.

If there are no additional interfaces seen above, try this to see what module(s) is being loaded for the card.
Code:
dmesg | grep Silicom

Followed by this one once you know the module name for some diagnostic info
Code:
dmesg | grep module_name

ls -l /sys/class/net/ does not show any other devices

dmesg | grep Silicom outputs nothing so i dont think there is a module loaded

I previously downloaded the following driver sources for this particular card:

igbp-2.0.6.silc.5.50.tar.gz
e1000bpe-2.4.14.silc.5.60.7.tar.gz
slcm-3.133d.silc.2.22.6.tar.gz
e1000bp-8.0.35.silc.5.56.4.tar.gz

untar'ed them in the tmp folder and tried to install the sources to the kernel using the "make install" command. I had to "apt-get install make gcc pve-kernel-2.6.32-37-pve pve-headers-2.6.32-37-pve pve-firmware" before the "make install" would even do anything.

Since i'm just a novice I'm not sure the driver is installing properly (obviously) but dont quite know how to debug the issue?

Thanks again and any help would be appreciated!

Are there additional ethernet ports seen after doing this?
Code:
ll /sys/class/net/

If you see them there, it's just a matter of configuring them in /etc/network/interfaces file.

If there are no additional interfaces seen above, try this to see what module(s) is being loaded for the card.
Code:
dmesg | grep Silicom

Followed by this one once you know the module name for some diagnostic info
Code:
dmesg | grep module_name

ls -l /sys/class/net/ does not show any other devices
dmesg | grep Silicom outputs nothing so i dont think there is a module loaded
That would indicate no module was found/loaded for your card.

I previously downloaded the following driver sources for this particular card:

igbp-2.0.6.silc.5.50.tar.gz
e1000bpe-2.4.14.silc.5.60.7.tar.gz
slcm-3.133d.silc.2.22.6.tar.gz
e1000bp-8.0.35.silc.5.56.4.tar.gz

untar'ed them in the tmp folder and tried to install the sources to the kernel using the "make install" command. I had to "apt-get install make gcc pve-kernel-2.6.32-37-pve pve-headers-2.6.32-37-pve pve-firmware" before the "make install" would even do anything.
Ummm... you did this immediately after installing the card? And installed all modules at once? It's possible something might be clobbering something else.
It's tough to say if you managed to install the module properly.

Since i'm just a novice I'm not sure the driver is installing properly (obviously) but dont quite know how to debug the issue?
Most modules end up in:
/lib/modules/kernel_version/ hierarchy.

Try doing a search for your modules in there, example
Code:
find /lib/modules/ -name "modulename*"

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!