Qlogic 5771x/578xx driver problem on Proxmox 4.x

chrisalavoine

Sep 30, 2009
Hey there,

I've been trying to get my Compellent SC4020 storage enclosure working with Proxmox.

After a lot of troubleshooting and false-dawns I managed to narrow my problem down to driver issues on the HBA cards in my host server.

I'm using a QLogic 57810 Dual Port 10Gb Direct Attach/SFP+ Low Profile Network Adapter which on Proxmox 3.4 is recognised as:
bnx2x: QLogic 5771x/578xx 10/20-Gigabit Ethernet Driver bnx2x 1.710.53r

However on Proxmox 4.x I am seeing this:
bnx2x: Broadcom NetXtreme II 5771x/578xx 10/20-Gigabit Ethernet Driver bnx2x 1.710.51-0

And I get tons of IO errors. There are no such IO errors on Proxmox 3.4.

Is there a way to port this driver over to 4.x so I can upgrade?

Thanks,
Chris.

Hi Dietmar,

Thanks for replying.

Can you suggest any way we can get around this? We currently have 9 licensed Proxmox hosts and 4 of them have these cards installed. I don't want to get stuck at 3.4 knowing that an upgrade will kill the server.

Thanks,
Chris.

Qlogic not being very helpful at the moment.

Have tried manually installing the latest drivers from Debian site:
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/all/firmware-bnx2/download

That gives me the following conflict:

dpkg -i firmware-bnx2_0.43_all.deb
dpkg: regarding firmware-bnx2_0.43_all.deb containing firmware-bnx2:
pve-firmware conflicts with firmware-bnx2
firmware-bnx2 (version 0.43) is to be installed.

dpkg: error processing archive firmware-bnx2_0.43_all.deb (--install):
conflicting packages - not installing firmware-bnx2
Errors were encountered while processing:
firmware-bnx2_0.43_all.deb

Have also tried installing these from Qlogic site:
http://driverdownloads.qlogic.com/Q....aspx?ProductCategory=336&Product=1244&Os=175

But they fail on the make step even with build-essentials installed.

I'm a little confused as to why the drivers on Proxmox 3.4 appear to be a newer version than on 4.x:

3.4 = 1.710.53r
4.x = 1.710.51-0

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused as to why the drivers on Proxmox 3.4 appear to be a newer version than on 4.x:

I am quite sure this is not related to firmware files. We always used the drivers from qlogic, but they simply do not compile on kernel 4.2 or newer (that is why the driver is older).

I am quite sure this is not related to firmware files. We always used the drivers from qlogic, but they simply do not compile on kernel 4.2 or newer (that is why the driver is older).

Ok, looks like we may have to change the cards on these hosts. Any recommendations that will definitely work with Proxmo 4.x?

[...]however am getting zero love from Q-logic at the moment so am looking around for another HBA card (that will work with Prox4).[...]

Driver support is the most annoying thing i have found when dealing with "niche/whitelabel vendors", as soon as you use anything beyond windows or RHEL. Most of em stop providing open-source drivers after 2-3 years and you are relying on people to backport drivers for your "obscure product"

As Mir said you cannot go wrong with Intel products, their driver support is one of the best.
For HBA's i also found that LSI/Avago and highpoint provide great driver support even for older products (on request).
We also run some newer Areca, but i do not know what their support for older products is like.

not sure if helpful,
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/poor-network-performance-on-guest.25502/
seems like a guy that has the same white-labeled Card from a different vendor.

We have the Intel X540-T2 (2x 10Gbase-T) in production. According to the intel Driver support site, it seems your card uses the same driver (ixgbe) and version + date as ours.

Hi Wulf,

Thanks for the reply. I'll check with the vendor that they use the same ixgbe drivers as the X540-T2's then we should be ready to go ahead.

Cheers,
Chris.

but they simply do not compile on kernel 4.2 or newer (that is why the driver is older).
Is this still happening? I have a Poweredge R730, and I am trying to install proxmox 4.1 with no luck. Is there any workaround except for installing proxmox3.4 or changing the NIC?

Is this still happening? I have a Poweredge R730, and I am trying to install proxmox 4.1 with no luck. Is there any workaround except for installing proxmox3.4 or changing the NIC?

Hi Tadeu,

This particular problem didn't stop Proxmox 4.1 installing, it was just a driver issue with my particular 10Gb Qlogic cards that caused IO errors when a high load was introduced. This was fixed by swapping out the cards for Intel models.

Where does it get stuck when trying to install? It may be a HDD drivers problem. What disks do you have? I've found doing a Debian install and then Installing Prox on top is a good workaround for these problems at detailed here:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie

Cheers,
Chris.

Hi Tadeu,

This particular problem didn't stop Proxmox 4.1 installing, it was just a driver issue with my particular 10Gb Qlogic cards that caused IO errors when a high load was introduced. This was fixed by swapping out the cards for Intel models.

Where does it get stuck when trying to install? It may be a HDD drivers problem. What disks do you have? I've found doing a Debian install and then Installing Prox on top is a good workaround for these problems at detailed here:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie

Cheers,
Chris.

Actually it installs, but the NIC is not working i tried to install firmware-bnx2x_0.43_all.deb but get the same error as you do on 4.1 or 3.4
Here is the lspci | grep net
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM57800 1/10 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
01:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM57800 1/10 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
01:00.2 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM57800 1/10 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
01:00.3 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM57800 1/10 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)

And here is mii-tool:
SIOCGMIIREG on eth0 failed: Invalid argument
No MII transceiver present!.
SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth1' failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth2' failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth3' failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

Ah ok, looks like you have the same issue then. As I say I just bit the bullet and swapped the card out for Intel which I think will save me problems down the line as Intel driver support for Linux is great, Qlogic/broadcom is not...

Hello everybody! Thanks for the suggestions, just to put a happy end on this thread I had sucessfully installed Proxmox 4.1 with Debian Jessie on the Dell PowerEdge R730 with NetXtreme QLogic/Brodcom 57xx board NIC.

The sweet steps are:

0. Download firmware from [0];
1. Install Debian (read [1] before doing this);
1.1 During install it will ask for the firmware extract the files from the .deb and put them on a flash drive;
1.2 Remember to add non-free to apt sources.list to receive updates;
2.0 Install Proxmox4_1 following this[1];
3.0 Happy virtualizing!

[0] https://packages.debian.org/jessie/all/firmware-bnx2x/download
[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie

ps.:still not sure how reliable is this driver, need still some more stress test
cleardot.gif

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!