QCOW2 Unavailable - Grayed Out - 4.2

stepdg

May 7, 2012
I apologize if this is a rookie question. I did search the forums in advance.

For some reason when I go to stand up a new VM in 4.2 the option to choose QCOW2 is no longer available. I can see it, but it is grayed out. Is QCOW2 no longer an option?

Thanks

What is your underlying storage pool format? Different hdd formats are available on different storage schemes, i.e. zfs only allows the raw format.

Hi

If you made a new installation you have no longer a dir Storage for Vm, now you use LVM-Thin.

This can be the reason why do you are not able to use qcow. But LVM-Thin has all features like snapshot and the speed like raw.

I'm having the same issue!! this is a fresh install, LVM-Thin is what is setup as. but when i create a new Virtual Machine I have no options but RAW.
qcow2 is what i want to use to save on HHD space. any advice??

Thx

Last edited:
LVM-thin is already thin provisioned and provides a block device, adding another layer of qcow2 does not make sense.

so what your saying is that the server "Proxmox 4.2 install" is configured to use LVM-Thin so no matter what my KVM settings are it would act like qcow2?
and if so why give us the "greyed out" option to choose other disk images??

thank you

LVM-Thin "acts like" QCOW2 in some way - it provides a similar feature set (snapshots, thin provisioning, ..). The GUI greys out options that are available in general, but not for that specific setup (storage plugin in this case).

Fabian,

Where do the virtual machine files reside in directory now under PVE 4.2 with lvm-thin (local-lvm)?
They use to be under example: /var/lib/vz/images/100 (vm-100-disk-1.raw), do then not exist anymore?

I've read the wiki's, and am trying the grasp the concept.

the "images" are not files, but thin-provisioned logical volumes in an LVM-thin pool. they are provided as block devices by LVM once activated (Proxmox does this automatically in the background).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!