Q: Why is macOS CPU-perfomance massively below of Windows and Linux?

penzelan

Jul 7, 2024
Hi everybody

I am observing a strange behavior on a freshly installed PVE 8.2.2 (Intel i5-7600K/4 cores, 64 GB RAM), which I have never noticed before.

Two VMs are installed: macOS Sonoma (via luchina-gabriel/OSX-PROXMOX) and Windows 11. In both cases, the processor type is set to "Host" and all 4 cores are passed through to the host.

If I run a CPU-only Geekbench immediately after installing the operating systems, I get 1000 Single Core / 2600 Multicore on macOS - and 1400 SC and 4000 MC on Windows 11. As a test, I also tried Ubuntu 24.04, where I achieved the same values in Geekbench as under Windows.

What can have such a big influence on Geekbench under macOS that the performance is so massively below that of Windows and Linux?

Any hints?

Thanks, Andreas

Hello _gabriel

If I understand correctly, this affects all VMs on the host and would not have different effects on individual VMs.

In fact, I had already tried this - and it does indeed make a difference whether mitigations are activated or not. And these differences can also be seen in all VMs (macOS, Windows, Linux) in a comparable way.

Perhaps another very specific question for users who run macOS Sonoma on Proxmox: What does the CPU specification in the VM configuration file look like? Mine looks like this:

Code:
-cpu host,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,+hypervisor,kvm=on,vmware-cpuid-freq=on

Thanks & Greetings, Andreas

Last edited:
afaik, cpu set to "host" passthrough all features the host cpu can. don't need to set others.

Hello Kingneutron

Your comment is completely true and correct, and my question has been answered conclusively.

Users who want to run macOS on non-Apple hardware may want to compensate for the performance losses of pre-virtualization by using more powerful processors.

It remains interesting to see how macOS on Proxmox behaves on Apple hardware. However, I'll leave that to others - my curiosity in this regard is not great enough to "repurpose" my Apple hardware ;-).

Greetings, Andreas

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!