[SOLVED] Q: does Sync jobs able to merge snapshots ?

hvisage

Renowned Member
May 21, 2013
Good day,

is a certain environment I have a challenge that I need to push a PVE clusters backups to two PBS servers, but to split the backups, ie. PVE1 & PVE2 -> PBS-A, PVE3& PVE4 -> PBS-B. I might also need to (if things change for balancing reasons) change it to PVE1/2/3 -> PBS-A and only PVE4 -> PBS-B

For on site redundancy, I believe the method would then be to sync PBS-A -> PBS-B & PBS-B -> PBS-A, instead of a double backup from all the PVEs to each PBS.

Questions: If I set PBS-A's DatastoreA to sync from PBS-B's DatastoreA and vice versa (assumptions here is that since it's the same PVE cluster, thus no snapshotID clashes, and a VMID was only backed up to one place during the last backup - sync period), would that "solve" my problem?
- what problems would I need to be aware of?

I also want to sync those onsite PBS datastores (which are limited in capacity with less than a week's backup space available) to an off-site PBS with same outbound bandwidth challenges.
Q: If the above is a valid setup, it "should" be possible (as I can't load balance, but can split over two internet lines the PBS-A and PBS-B traffic) to do the following:
first: Backup: PVE* -> PBS-*
2nd: Sync: PBS-* datastoreA -> remote-PBS datastoreA
3rd: sync: PBS-A -> PBS-B, PBS-B -> PBS-A

IF the above aren't possible or advised, what other options should I rather consider?

Seems this is working as I describe I want to do above, with the added sync job (from both) to a remote PBS

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!