[SOLVED] Pxar backup running forever

ph0x

Renowned Member
Jul 5, 2020
/dev/null
Hey there!
I've been using PBS mostly for VM backups and I was always satisfied with the quality.
Now I try to backup a CephFS and struggle a little bit without knowing where to start.

PBS runs natively on my old QNAP NAS with an AMD Jaguar 64 bit SoC and 16 GiB RAM.
The backup pool lies on a five disk raidz2 with a raid1 sata ssd special device.

Benchmark shows a TLS speed of around 190 MB/s, which is okay for the hardware in my opinion. Another board already waits to be promoted to PBS, but that doesn't belong here.

I created a zero-filled 30 MB file which gets backuped at around 75MB/s, no issues here.
But the backup of a file with 40 MB never finishes ... (I stopped after 20 minutes).
Netout of the VM which initiated the backup stays at 120 B/s (!)
I just made some tests, and the threshold seems to be at 32 MB. Below everything is fine, above not anymore.

Where can I look for troubleshooting this issue?

I dedicated 12 GB of RAM to ZFS, might that be a problem?

Last edited:
is the client side a single core machine? which version of the client is installed?

no, but there was a bug that affected single core clients. it has been fixed though, so my guess is you don't actually run the latest version? can you confirm which exact client version you are using?

Thank you for setting me on the right track. There must have been an issue with my local apt cacher, since the versions 1.0.12 and 1.0.13 just came in yesterday morning and I hadn't updated after that.
With 1.0.13 it seems to work now!

Reactions: fabian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!