pveproxy: failed to get address info

Fantomas

Renowned Member
Aug 7, 2014
Hello together,

I have a cluster consisting of two machines runnning current PVE release.
After upgrading Megaraid Storage Manager to the current version, I can no longer connect to the machine, because pveproxy does not start anymore.
Uninstalling all MSM components doesn't make a difference.

systemctl status pveproxy.service shows this output:
Code:
● pveproxy.service - PVE API Proxy Server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pveproxy.service; enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2017-03-05 18:14:55 CET; 12min ago
  Process: 1985 ExecStart=/usr/bin/pveproxy start (code=exited, status=255)

Mar 05 18:14:55 vmhost2 pveproxy[1985]: start failed - failed to get address info for: vmhost2: System error
Mar 05 18:14:55 vmhost2 pveproxy[1985]: start failed - failed to get address info for: vmhost2: System error
Mar 05 18:14:55 vmhost2 systemd[1]: pveproxy.service: control process exited, code=exited status=255
Mar 05 18:14:55 vmhost2 systemd[1]: Failed to start PVE API Proxy Server.
Mar 05 18:14:55 vmhost2 systemd[1]: Unit pveproxy.service entered failed state.

Threads that mention the same problem didn't help me fixing my issue. Is there a way to debug the failing start process of pveproxy.service?

Thanks and best
Jan

Hi,

this means your pveproxy can't resolve the ip adress in /etc/hosts.
Or the ip is not accessible.

Make sure /etc/hosts has a 'pvelocalhost' in the host line.
This is needed by the proxy to get the address.

Is the nic with this address up?

It has an identical network configuration to the second machine. I also checked /etc/network/interfaces.
Because I can ssh to it, I don't assume a network issue...

*EDIT*

I further found out, that I am unable to ping the local machine or another machine on the network.
Nslookup works and ping via ip seems also to work properly.

*EDIT*

After installing and starting nscd on the affected machine, I am able to ping via hostname, again.
Anyway, trying to start pveproxy shows this result:

Code:
Mar 06 10:59:29 vmhost2 systemd[1]: Starting PVE API Proxy Server...
-- Subject: Unit pveproxy.service has begun with start-up
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
--
-- Unit pveproxy.service has begun starting up.
Mar 06 10:59:30 vmhost2 pveproxy[3635]: start failed - Unrecognised protocol tcp at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Daemon.pm line 834.
Mar 06 10:59:30 vmhost2 pveproxy[3635]: start failed - Unrecognised protocol tcp at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Daemon.pm line 834.
Mar 06 10:59:30 vmhost2 systemd[1]: pveproxy.service: control process exited, code=exited status=255
Mar 06 10:59:30 vmhost2 systemd[1]: Failed to start PVE API Proxy Server.
-- Subject: Unit pveproxy.service has failed
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
--
-- Unit pveproxy.service has failed.
--
-- The result is failed.
Mar 06 10:59:30 vmhost2 systemd[1]: Unit pveproxy.service entered failed state.

Last edited:
As this is a production system, not operating properly at the moment, I will wait until this afternoon before reinstalling the pve cluster node.
Any help still appreciated.
Thanks

For post-world, I stumbled around the same issue today and here is the solution.

For some reason after a broken (?) upgrade or operating process, the /etc - directory rights on my system was 0750 instead 0755. The perl process is started as user www-data, therefore it can't read /etc/protocols and other needed files.

Fix:
chmod 0755 /etc

And if needed:
chown root:root /etc

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!