pveperf Values

Davi

May 6, 2012
Hello Users,

i get an ProLiant SE316M1 Server 2x Xeon L5520 Quad Core 2.27 GHz, 32 GB RAM and 2 x 146Gbyte SAS Drive on a P410 RAID Controller. It is configured as Raid1 i have installed the latest Proxmox 3 Version with the ISO Image. After installed Proxmox I run pveperf and i thing the values wich displayed are bad.

Can somone take a look to the Attachment? Becauss I have no comparasion values.

Can I reconfigure somthing to better values?View attachment ConfigWriteCacheDisabled.txtView attachment writeCacheDisabled.txt

P.S. Sorry for my English:eek:

Have you a battery pack installed for the P410 Raid controller?
Do you have the latest firmware for the P410 Raid controller?

It seems that the write cache is disabled, which may result in poor performance.

Hi,
and you are right - the values are not good.
This is the output on an sata-raid1 (areca raid-controller with twoHitachi HUA722020ALA330 )
Code:
# pveperf
CPU BOGOMIPS:      69346.08
REGEX/SECOND:      1414714
HD SIZE:           13.53 GB (/dev/mapper/pve-root)
BUFFERED READS:    184.54 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 7.54 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND:     2996.37
DNS EXT:           82.88 ms
DNS INT:           0.37 ms
On a SAS-Raid10 on the same raidcontroller look the values much better (4 * HITACHI HUS154545VLS300):
Code:
pveperf /mnt/local_pve/
CPU BOGOMIPS:      69346.08
REGEX/SECOND:      1485083
HD SIZE:           543.34 GB (/dev/mapper/pve_local-data)
BUFFERED READS:    438.37 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 5.64 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND:     4741.21
DNS EXT:           48.65 ms
DNS INT:           0.37 ms
Udo

Thank you for the answers.

I know that pveperf is only for reading and we can see i have also Problems with reading. So i try to fix this first.
At this time I have noch Batterpack for the controller.

I have checked and Updated the Firmware from Controller and sas drives and repeat pveperf but nothing better.

Code:
CPU BOGOMIPS:      72531.68
REGEX/SECOND:      1019470
HD SIZE:           33.47 GB (/dev/mapper/pve-root)
BUFFERED READS:    79.43 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 5.20 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND:     57.24
DNS EXT:           168.44 ms
DNS INT:           72.51 ms (local)

I found this page it look like similar Problem.
http://zackreed.me/articles/54-hp-smart-array-p410-controller-tuning

I try to test it but I couldnt find /cciss\!c0d0/.

Some more ideas for solving the problem? Thank you.

I think pveperf does write test too, since fsync is the sinking of the hard disk writes AFAIK. In any case my experience is that without writeback enabled, fsynk is very very low since raid controllers disabel "on board" hd cache for safety, so fsync in a raid card controller without writeback is much slower than a single sata driver (without raid controller)

Good Morning

I might be wrong, but your disks HP DG146ABAB4 spining on 10k and has just a transfer Rate of 3.0 GB/sec. The HP Smart Array P410 is capable for SAS disks with a transfer Rate of 6.0 GB/sec. Using a faster Disk spining 15k might improve the performance as well.
Regarding the performance tuning the path
Code:
/sys/block/cciss\!c0d0/
is coming from an older controller driver in linux, I think this has changed over time. try to identify the correct path on your system.

cheers
tom

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!