PVE4.0 Clean install problems on Dell PE2950 with MD1000 Powervault

artisticab

Renowned Member
Sep 8, 2011
Pacific NW, USA
I'm trying to clean install PVE 4.0 on an older Dell PE2950iii with a MD1000 PowerVault attached. This is an extra machine in my environment and would like to try using the back system in PVE. When I go to try install PVE 4.0 on this server, I get this code after the loader screen; and the server freezes. I have installed PVE 4.0 on my newer R720 machines, and it installed fine. Do I have an issue with hardware configuration?

Any clues would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

Wolfgang,

Ok, was able to get debian 8 (jessie) installed. I will work on trying to install proxmox 4.x this way.

I did remove my perc 6/e raid card and the powervault from the PE2950 server; so that I could isolate the issue. I still had the same kernel panic issue when trying to install PVE 4.x. I even tried installing PVE 4.x on a second PE1950 blade that has a perc 5/i raid in it. It is an extra machine that I had laying around also, and it would not install on it either.

I was able to clean install PVE 3.4 without issues on both pieces of hardware, so there must be something not included in PVE 4.x that is still available in PVE 3.4 that allows installation to work without issue? My guess is the LSI raid drivers for the dell perc 6/i, 5/i are not included in the PVE 4.x kernel? Maybe they can be added in a future update release.

Thanks,

Greg

I think perc 5/i and 6/i uses the old mptsas driver while newer LSI controllers uses mpt2sas and mpt3sas drivers. Are you able to locate mptsas?
find /lib -name "mptsas.ko"
/lib/modules/2.6.32-42-pve/kernel/drivers/message/fusion/mptsas.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.32-41-pve/kernel/drivers/message/fusion/mptsas.ko
/lib/modules/3.10.0-11-pve/kernel/drivers/message/fusion/mptsas.ko
/lib/modules/3.10.0-13-pve/kernel/drivers/message/fusion/mptsas.ko

Mir,

Yes, when PVE 3.4 is installed on this hardware, it is showing the mptsas in this directory:

/lib/modules/2.6.32-39-pve/kernel/drivers/message/fusion/mptsas.ko

proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 3.4-156 (running kernel: 2.6.32-39-pve)pve-manager: 3.4-6 (running version: 3.4-6/102d4547)pve-kernel-2.6.32-39-pve: 2.6.32-156

Thanks,
Greg

Mir,

Also confirmed on Debian 8 (jessie) the mptsas.ko driver is used in this directory:

/lib/modules/3.16.0-4-amd64/kernel/drivers/message/fusion

Thanks,
Greg

Ok... thanks the help/info. Not sure how to do that from a bare metal install. I've never experienced a bare metal install issue before; I've been using PVE since the 1.8 version.

Unfortunately, I more of a windows user so I am a noob when it comes to linux. The ease of a PVE install (or re-install) has always been great. I guess I can get by with PVE3.4 since the equipment is relegated to backups of VM's.

Thanks,
Greg

I took one more stab at this, and got PVE4 to install on top of Debian 8 (jessie) by following wolfgang's link: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install..._Debian_Jessie

Once the host server reboots and I let the system load the default 4.2.3.2-pve kernel I receive a different error screen.
kernel 4-2-3-2-pve error.jpg

If I use the advanced options menu, and select pve with linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 kernel, the system boots up fine.

If I do the optional step and remove the debian kernel, it will will not boot. I suspect this is more than a perc raid driver issue and chasing a wrong problem?

Greg

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!