PVE2.0 Consoles seem to default to port 8006

I am using PVE 2.0 on a vmware platform.
PVE 1.9 worked well in this environment, but it did not seem to have the new multi-tenancy features. I was excited to try out the 2.x features.
I noticed that the console is opening on port 8006 and a second console fails to open.
I thought the consoles were supposed to open in 5900-5910?
I am checking to see if the firewall managers have just failed to open port 5900-10
I don't particularly expect the 5900-10 ports to be open and listening, because the console request is going in through port 8006.
Where is the port range for consoles specified in the configs?

-Wolf29

I am using PVE 2.0 on a vmware platform.
PVE 1.9 worked well in this environment, but it did not seem to have the new multi-tenancy features. I was excited to try out the 2.x features.
I noticed that the console is opening on port 8006 and a second console fails to open.
I thought the consoles were supposed to open in 5900-5910?
I am checking to see if the firewall managers have just failed to open port 5900-10
I don't particularly expect the 5900-10 ports to be open and listening, because the console request is going in through port 8006.
Where is the port range for consoles specified in the configs?

-Wolf29
Hi,
port 8006 is the default ssl-port for the webfrontend - console are 5900+.

Udo

If you install the Proxmox VE iso, its like Udo pointed out.

if you don´t believe me just take a look on the source code. the web interface is on 8006, VNC console is on 5900-5999.

It is not that I don't believe you; I am looking right at contrary evidence, as I showed you above. I understand what is supposed to be happening.
I can open a console, but I cannot open 2 at a time. I am assuming that this is because I am not getting out on the 5900 to 5910 range but only on 8006.
When I was testing PVE1.9 I only opened 5900 on the firewall (at first) and couldn't run 2 consoles at once, but cleared the issue when I opened a 5900-5910. I never tried having only the 8006 port open on the firewall, and I cannot get a console to open at all in my private IP range. The new window opens but the page never populates.

Here are some other similar situations
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...dCHYB150gyzuhrA1Q&sig2=e6SJF5pfJY4yM8DMzq8yFw

netstat -tuln does not show the 590x ports as open, but as I said before, I expect them to be filtered or closed until a console is requested.

So rather than talking me into it, tell me what would cause this alternate scenario assuming that:

• I am not a troll, and I will test your solutions
  • I used the proxmox-ve-2.0 iso and did a stock install
  • I actually expected and want the proxmox ve
    to do just as I was used to in a previous install of proxmox-ve
  • I want a solution to an ongoing issue

First, you need to open port 8006 (API) and 5900-5999 (VNC) on the firewall.

Maybe your problem is on the client side - what browser/OS do you use. What java version?

i have just checked mine and yes when you open a console window in a browser (Checked firefox and chrome) its the 8006 is displayed inthe URL path

i agree with dietmar as it sounds like a client side issue rather than server, especially if its displaying the console.

8006 its port for web with ssl. If you are trying to open console from web browser it will pop-up new window and will try to load web java vnc client which trying to connect to 5900+ port (depend which port are forwarded by PVE web system)

2 consoles at one time - it has to work. Sometime try to press reload button on console window. If you still have problems, try to debug network with tcpdump. Maybe firewall off will answer your question.

I think this is a client side problem. I noticed this with Firefox 15 on ubuntu 12.04 64bit:

1. Login to PVE
2. Select node, click shell and it will open normally.
3. Close Shell.
4. Select KVM and open Console.
5. Go back to node and open shell.
6. You will get error: could not connect ot server: x.x.x.x:590x

with Chromium browser on the same machine everything seems to be ok.

I am using Firefox 15.0.1 on Win 7 (64bit)
I checked with the firewall team and they assure me ports 5900-5910 are open.
however, today I can get both consoles to be up at the same time - they are definitely showing port 8006 in their address lines, and the second console had to be reloaded to be visible.
It is feeling like a network issue somewhere. There may be a second firewall between me and my server.

6. You will get error: could not connect ot server: x.x.x.x:590x

Some time JAVA applet are loading to long and proxmox close the port. If you see reload button press it and proxmox will open port again.

In proxmox log you can see

no connection : Connection timed out
TASK ERROR: command '/bin/nc -l -p 5900 -w 10 -c '/usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 113 2>/dev/null'' failed: exit code 1

As you can see nc open port for 10 seconds.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!