[SOLVED] PVE vs PBS backup retention policies?

Ivan Dimitrov

Jul 14, 2016
Hello, I am backing up my VMs to PBS. Previously I think there was recommendation to control backup the retention policy from the PBS. With the new more flexible scheduler in 7.1 I would like to set a "snapshot like" backup for some VMs every 30 min and retain them for maximum a few days. This retention policies are different than the longer term retention policy I have on my PBS data store.
The question is how the PVE and PBS interoperate? Will they trigger independently? Do I need two different data store in order to achieve the two different retention policies for the different backups?
Thanks.

Last edited:
the more aggressive one wins if you set both (both prunes will happen, but the more lax one will have no effect).

Thanks for the clarification. I hope you are working on deeper integration between PVE and PBS. The current situation is a bit confusing and clumsy. Great work anyway.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!